Monument Valley, Utah

boomerboater

We are heading out on an extended trip west from Texas to Las Vegas, visiting Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona. How much time do you experienced ones recommend that we allow for Monument Valley? We plan on seeing Zion, Bryce and other areas of Utah. Then on to the glitter of Las Vegas! What a contrast! I will look forward to hearing your thoughts. Boomer :)

TexasClodhopper

Re: Monument Valley, Utah

Do a search here on the forum, Boomer. You'll find DL's experience in the many posts as well as others.

You can find 'Search' on the first forum page.

DL Rupper

1 to 2 days in Monument Valley max. Allow more time for Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion's Nat'l Parks in Utah.

boomerboater

Thanks DL. That is sorta what I thought. I am thinking of staying at Goulding's RV Park or is there anywhere better? Looks like it might be the only place! Boomer

DL Rupper

boomerboater, when we drove through there 2 years ago I don't remember seeing too many RV Parks. I believe we did see a sign for Goulding's, but I don't remember it being on the main road, so we kept going. We didn't stay overnight in Monument valley, because it looked to us like you could see most everything driving through. Great scenery. We stayed overnight in Mexican Hat, Utah. Kind of a crappy RV Park, but it worked overnight (FHU). Goulding's RV Park is probably a better choice. Bluff, Blanding, and Monticello, Utah also have better RV parks than Mexican Hat. The road (Rt 163) into Mexican hat, if I remember right, has a climb going up to Monument Pass and coming back down into town. However, it is not listed in my Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers, so it probably isn't too bad. They only list real steep grades in 11 Western States. Just watch your speed build- up as you come down into town.

Wind River

We stayed at Gouldings last spring. Nice park. I would suggest you take the guided tour. You will be able to see more since I don't think you are allowed on all the roads on the Reservation.

boomerboater

We will be coming from Mesa Verde NP, so it will be a short drive, like 137 miles to Monument Valley. I think we will try Gouldings RV Park. Sounds like we wouldn't even have to unhook since they have shuttles and just spend one night there.