More Duramax Power

DL Rupper

2006 Chev/GMC Vortec 6600 Duramax will have 360hp and 610lb feet of torque, coupled with an Allison 1000 six speed auto :laugh: . Oh boy, now it can keep up with the Dodge Ram :clown: . Happy Towing :) .

Krazeehorse

More Duramax Power

You better be careful, DL. Just because someone wears a bowtie doesn't mean they have to be nice to you! :laugh: I'm a Ford guy so I'm waiting on them to fix the new powerstroke or go back to the old one.

DL Rupper

More Duramax Power

Hey Krazzeehorse, its fun to poke hornet nests. :bleh: I hope you don't have to wait for Ford to fix their new powerstroke as long as I have been waiting for Diamler to couple a good 5/6 spd auto trans to the Cummins diesel. :disapprove: Until then I guess I'll just make fun of the new allison 6sp auto. :approve:

C Nash

More Duramax Power

Hay DL, That Duramax is just passing you so fast you can't see it :eek: and you sure can't hear it over that Ram rattling :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

DL Rupper

More Duramax Power

bzzzz,bzzzzz,bzzzzz I can hear the hornets bzzzing lol over the wonderfully quite new (2003-up)Cummins diesel :clown:

C Nash

More Duramax Power

DL, that aint hornets, those sounds just kick in after being here around 62years :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

DL Rupper

More Duramax Power

Chelse, That's zzzzzz,zzzzzz,zzzzzzz, when I close my eyes in the afternoon. :bleh: :laugh: :kiss:

Grandview Trailer Sa

More Duramax Power

Krazeehorse hit on something that I did hear the other day. A customer of mine, who is a Ford fan to the core, told me that Ford was going back to the 7.3 diesel. Has anyone else heard this?

PS, I talked to my local dealer and he told me he had heard the same rumor, but nothing from Ford. He also said they would be the last to know.

DL Rupper

More Duramax Power

Hey Grandview Trailer Sales, you didn't hear anything about Daimler Chrysler offering a nice 5/6 spd Mercedes auto trans in the 2007 Dodge Cummins diesel did you :question: :question: :question: Probably not :( .

Grandview Trailer Sa

More Duramax Power

The only thing I have heard about Dodge is the back seat and doors in the crew cab are supposed be bigger in 2006.

Added later,
I have not personnally checked this, but a customer came in today and he said an '06 on our local lot had the same rear seat as before. Guess that was another rumor.

gunny

More Duramax Power

The 4 doors on the current Dodge are "Not" a "Crew" cab configuration. As the Dodge is now with the 4 doors it is a Extended cab pick-up, Dodge at this time does not make a Crew Cab. That may change next year and Dodge may finally make a true Crew Cab Truck.

Gunny

DL Rupper

More Duramax Power

Thanks for the info Gunny. Really wish somebody would start a rumor about a NEW auto trans in the Dodge diesel. The old, old beefed-up 4spd just doesn't get it. Take care and God bless.

C Nash

More Duramax Power

Hey DL, hate to tell you but, I saw a Dodge cummins broke down on the interstate today :eek: . Engine had quit :dead: . Probably had a clogged filter as he said he didn't know when it had been changed :eek: . The new fords are still leading on the ones I see beside the road though. travel 300 miles 5 days of the week on the interstate and not seeing near as many rvs on the road now as earlier but, that could be because of the time of year.

DL Rupper

More Duramax Power

Chelse you really know how to hurt a guy :( . Was that a wooden stake you drove in my heart :question: . Were you talking fuel or air filter :question: . I change my fuel/water seperator every 15k :clown: . I watched the mechanic change the first one. Cost me $100 to watch him unscrew the lid and drop a new cartridge in :angry: . Now it costs me $18.50 for a new Fleetguard filter at Cummins :approve: . On my old 95 Dodge Cummins it was really hard to access the fuel filter and change it :disapprove: . I could almost see why they charged $100 to do it :eek: , but not the new one. They got back on the new oil filter. The 2003 Dodge needs to be on a lift to remove it :dead: . But I now use Rotella synthetic oil and go farther between changes :bleh: . I still change the oil more often than required :clown: . Not sure why :blackeye: . Everything I read about European autos, the manufacture's recommend once a year or 10k miles between changes. They claim new engine design and better oil allows longer interval. I just can't go that far (brainwashed) :laugh: . My maintenance B schedule says 7500 miles. I'm at 3 times per year or 6k miles which ever comes first :bleh: . On a diesel the air filter's the primary driver on good fuel mileage. Need to keep it clean :cool: .

C Nash

More Duramax Power

DL, It didn't seem to be getting any fuel so I suspected the fuel filter. Do know that some of the earlier Dodge cummins had fuel lift pump problems but don't know if later models use them. He had roadside service so I left. Stopped and thought sure it might be you :eek: . Seems as though you are the only person that has a Dodge :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

More Duramax Power

It's official, At the Chevrolet web site, they have posted that the 2006 GM trucks will have the 6 speed Allison and the Duramax built through Sept. will have 310 hp. at 3000 rpm. with 605 lb. of torque at 1600 rpm. After Sept. the power goes to 360 hp. at 3000 rpm and 650 lb. torque at 1600 rpm. The 6 speed manual will have 300 hp and 520 torque.
They are changing gauges and and have a Plus/Minus switch on the shifter also. I need to dig deeper to see what that is.

DL Rupper

More Duramax Power

Hey Folks, it sounds good on paper :laugh: , but after reading 21+ pages on ALLISON problems I can't get excited :bleh: . Guess I'll just have to stick to my Dodge manuel 6spd :clown: .

Grandview Trailer Sa

More Duramax Power

Hey DL
Don't forget, you started this page....
I have not read ALL 21 pages, but I have looked at a lot of them. A WHOLE bunch of the problems are in motorhomes and I don't know if that is the same transmission. Might be, just don't know. And motorhomes don't use the Duramax. Nothing is without some faults. I clearly remember regluing my overdrive gear back on in my '97 Dodge. Seriously, 5th gear was held in place by a castle nut that was glued to the threads of the shaft. Other than that, great truck. After several years, they finally fixed that problem with the 6 speed.

DL Rupper

More Duramax Power

Hey Grandview Trailer Sales, gulity as charged :bleh: . I did start this
page :evil: . Actually I hope the Allison works out ok. I'm biased against the auto transmissions :clown: . Just read too much bad about all of them :dead: . Add in the fact I really like the advantage of using my exhaust brake out west in the mountains :approve: . The exhaust brakes don't work as well on auto trans unless they have been modified to work with the brake and most automatic transmissions are not warranteed by the manufacturer if an exhaust brake has been installed :eek: . The exhaust brake is well worth the cost as the truck brakes last twice as long and when coming down a 10 mile 6% grade they are unbelievable :clown: .

I never had a problem with my 5th gear in 210k miles on my 95 Dodge Cummins, so I'm well pleased with both my 5spd and my new 6spd Dodge manuel tranmissions :laugh: .

Where I have a problem with the manuel transmission is in bumper-to bumper traffic. Just getting too old to shift the gears and work the clutch under those conditions :disapprove: . After an hour in a traffic jam with my 5'er I'm ready for an auto if there was a really good one ;) . Again hope the Allison works out. It will put pressure on the other 2 manufacturers to develope a good 6spd auto :) :laugh: :cool: .

Grandview Trailer Sa

More Duramax Power

I totally agree with you about the manual clutch. I used to buy them, but after one of the F..d's I bought, I won't have another. I am sure you know that ALL the manufactures put higher tow ratings on the auto's. I believe that is to guide buyers to the auto's so they won't have to deal with warranty issues on clutches.

In the 2006 medium duty trucks, GM IS installing an exhaust brake. I hope they put this on the smaller trucks in time. I do not know if they are limiting that to manuals. I do know if you install one on a current GM truck, it will void warranty. Same for Ford. I have a good friend who bought a 2005 Dodge because that was the only one that the warranty did not void.

I have had good luck with auto's over the years and I believe the Allison is at least one of the best available. I have 2 Duramax/Allison 2500HD's and they are great trucks. They might have problems with the 6 speed at first, I just hope they work it out quickly, if they do.