More electrical

garyandamanda

I am new to this site, so let me start by thanking you in advance. I have a 1977 Georgie Boy. I have a problem with my 12V system. When I plug my coach in, the lights will click on and off intermittenly. I had a bunch of wiring problems in the dash. I have cleaned up most of the problems, but still have some open wiring. The thing is, I had no problems with the 12V until I started cleaning up the goofy wiring. When the lights flick on and off, I heard a clicking noise around a firehydrant looking solenoid by the batteries. I am completely lost and would greatly appreciate any advice at all. What I can tell you is that I get 120 out of the outlets when plugged in.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: More electrical

Welcome to the forum.

OK, what is clicking is called an Automatic Reseting Breaker. You have a dead short somewhere. This is causing the breaker to heat up, click off, cool off, reset and heat up again and again. This is, of course, on the 12 volt side of your wiring.

You will only have 120 volts at outlets while plugged in.

G

Wow ,, Ken i impressed ,, and i thought salesmen didn't know anything :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gary ,, welcome to the forum ,, and yes Ken is right ,, sounds like a breaker reseting ,, also it maybe u'r battery isolation selenoid ,, since u did say it looks like a fire hydrant ,,, this thing isolates u'r engine battery from u'r house batteries ,, i think u may have a bad selenoid ,, but i would go out while this thing is clicking and see if u can pin point the clicking ,, u can put u'r hands on it ,, it won't shock u,, it's only 12volt DC ,, once u have found where the clicking is ,, post us back ,,we will try to help u out the best we can :) ;) :approve: :approve:

garyandamanda

Ok I double checked the fire hydrant looking thing. It has a positive cable from the main battery going to it on the left hand side. There is a fried wire going from the right hand side leading to what appears to be a relay. The clicking noise is coming from the solenoid or whatever it is. I guess tomorrow I will get a new wire and connect the solenoid to the relay and see if that helps. I was pretty sure that's what it was. I just was unaware of why there was a solenoid there. Thanks alot for the help. I'll post tomorrow to let you know what happens. Thanks again.

G

let us know back ,, and don't feel ashamed about posting ,, even if u think it's stupid,, cause all of us on here are guilty of stupid stuff ,, it's part of the rv life style ,, and we'll keep on doing stupid stuff ,, we never learn ;) :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

garyandamanda

The person who previously owned this RV had no clue on wiring. He had a positive lead running with a negative lead. Once we changed that over, no more problems. :)