Motor home tires

MHTOM

Hello , I have been lurking for some time here , and I think i need to have a question answered but i have been on other sights and they don't really seem friendly enough to answer a question so i thought maybe i would try here you all seem as if you know about rv's but here is my question I was told by my tire shop that Michelin tires have a 10 year spread before you have to replace them is this true my tires are 8 years old no cracking or anything but i don't feel that i am getting the true answers i would like a second opinion as it would be said I hope that i am not asking a dumb question or maybe i am not looking in the right place but i hope i can come here with any problems i might have i will wait for any response i may get

G

RE: Motor home tires

well first off ,, welcome to the forums ,, and no ,, there is no dumb question ,, we have done it all ,, and still do it ,,, and wonder why ,, but back to u'r ?? ,, i too have michelin tires on my MH ,,, but i am not pushing the 10 yr mark as u ,, i have been told that the XPS Rib tires will go 10 yr's ,, but ,, i believe in the 6 yr rule ,,, others may say yea or ney ,, but it's the lives of others ,, and u'rs or u'r family that counts ,,, if anyone can show that the 10 yr rule exist ,, then i may rethink my tire purchase also ,,, but i think not ,,, JMO ,, and other will have theirs ,, i am sure ,,, but stick around ,, heck u might even learn something on here ,, but i must warn u ,,, we get off topic quit a bit ,,, and clown around ,, but if u can put up with that ,, then u ok by me :approve: :approve: :)
Oops ,, btw u did not say what michilen tire u were running ,,, my fault ,, i did not ask first off ,,, see what i mean ,, first post ,, and already forgot ,, oh well
:laugh: :disapprove:
Another thing that might help is this http://rveducation101.com/videostream/?clip=RV_Tire_Tips

vanole

Re: Motor home tires

Count me in on the 6 yr rule. I've run both Michelin and Goodyears on both M/H's I've owned. Happy with both brands. I've had one catostrophic failure of a tire on my previous coach did 7k worth of damage to wheel well and surroundig area luckily did not takecout either air bag. Tire was less than 5 years of age but that particular GY tire G159 series had some problems. Many articles on the web about them.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

JimE

RE: Motor home tires

I agree with the 6 year rule. I tried pusing it with the GY tires on my last coach and amost had a serious wreck after a blow out. One white knuckled experience is all it took me to learn.

TexasClodhopper

One thing to remember about your 6 year old tires that you hand over when new ones are put on.

In most cases, those old tires of yours have a new life in the trucking industry.

H2H1

OK I have been reading about tires for quite awhile now. And I was just on E-bay looking at a new set for $299 ea. doesn't sound to bad. But here is my question why the magic 6 year rule. AND IF THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR A MH then why are they good for trucker to use? ANY WAY JUST ASKING

*scooter*

Well, last year I noticed some checking on my 02 MH tires. Then they were about 6 yrs old. As I looked into it further I thought I'd do some tire rotation and get the rear inside tires placed on the outside and so forth. As it turned out, the rear inside tires were more severly weathered/checked than any of the other tires. So I decided to replace all of them. Nothing is easy... I could only get 3 Michelin's locally and the 4th came from Oregon ( I checked with several dealers and no one had any, so I had to believe there were no Michelin's to be had). So the end result is 4 Michelin's on the rear and Toyo on the front. The Toyo's have more steel belts on the side wall than Michelin, and have a very similar tire tred to the Michlin. And lastly, the Toyo's cost were significantly lower. The ride is great so no loss there..
I think 6 yrs would be a time frame to consider new tires. I'ved been there when you have a flat because of tire age and no obvious physical signs, luckily I had a spare.....but the second flat on the same trip really did me in, :eek: :eek: :blush:

G

well scooter i agree ,, and as u i am in the same boat ,,, i waited to long to get tires ,,, and since i want to leave in less than 6 weeks ,,, well i want a matched set of tires ,, 9 to be exact ,, u know all the same date codes ,, well they have told me ,, to do that ,, it will take 8 to 9 weeks to round them up ,, so iguess that blows that ,, but my other option is ,, to get 8 ,, very close to the same codes ,,, which can be done in 6 weeks ,, well i know i will get ribbed about this ,,, it's only been 8months since i mentioned tires ,,, oh well ,, i 'll just cancel the trip ,,, hell only gonna get week anyway :disapprove: :disapprove: :angry:
Oh btw ,, did any of u notice ,, or is it just me ,,, the tom guy ,, made one complete sentence ,,, only had 2 commas in the whole thing ,,, oh well maybe that si the way he types ,, or she ,,, but i am sure as many as i use ,,, he/she can borrow some of mine ,,, oops forgot ,, TOM is gonna see this also ,, OH NO © ,, well now i done it :eek: :eek: :disapprove:

MHTOM

Thank you all, so many responses ,and 730 sorry for not using the proper punctuation, but i will watch and make sure all my comas are where they need to be , if i knew how to make those little cartoon things i would but i am new here and still learning , but as for my tires ,730 , i have 22.5 not sure of the rest all i know is 22.5 , but since i bought this motor home used i really don't know much about it but thanks to all of you i am going to replace the tires since all of you seem to think that the 6year rule is the way but i am wondering what did texasclodhopper mean about tires being reused on trucks is this for real i thought they just threw them in a pile out back but one other question , my motor home has a generator but i can not seem to get it to power the things inside my motor home , if i plug it in all seems to work fine but when i am not pluged in ,, and use the generator nothing works am i doing something wrong ? or is it because i do not have a clue about my motor home ? thank you all for not telling me to go to this web sight and read about something i know nothing about i came here to learn and everyone here seems to know something about rv's well back too work i am on my lunch break well for most they would be sleeping but being a FAA controller we don't get many breaks thank you all TOM

Triple E

I bought my, 1997, Motor Home used. Have the Michelin tires on it. They look great but I too am worried about the age. Do any of you know if there are numbers on the tires that will represent the date made?

You are doing all right MHTOM. No one welcomed me to this site. :)

TexasClodhopper

Oh, Tom, just hit the ENTER key ever once in a while at random intervals. That will make your post easier to read! :clown:

And don't EVER take typing lessons from Rod (730) either! :clown:

About the tires, do ya'll REALLY think that someone from the tire dealership doesn't look at the tires being "traded in" to see if they could be SOLD instead of scrapped?

Also, if you hang around one long enough you'll at least see some old guy drive up in a truck full of old tires and put some more in there from the tire dealership.

At the very least, your old "trade-ins" could become trailer tires in the trucking industry, but I suspect that a truck driver would be more likely to push the 10 year rule.

vanole

Triple E,

To answer your question on determining age. Yes you can determine age. The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.
Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004)."

V/R
Jeff

H2H1

OK now ya'll have scared the hell out me on tires. So now I will go get some new one order. I guess it better to be safe than sorry :(

Triple E

Jeff, Thank you.

All that I can fine is a string of letter and numbers. (DOT B6 BJ BWR X 3603). The 3603 is stamped inside of an indented oval. So I assume, and never assume, that the tires where Mfg. week 36 of 2003. Do you agree? -Steve

H2H1

well mine is stamped 4602, which is the 46 week of 2002. now that means mine are 7 years old. but they are showing no ware except on the treads, the side looks good with no cracks at all. So other than being 7 years old do y'all think I need new tires. if so, going in the morning and get them ordered if they don't have 6/7 in stock with the same DOT stamp :(

Triple E

Seems to me that a honest tire store would be able to tell you if your tires need to be replaced. I am at the sixth year and I doubt if there is more than 15K miles on these tires. Very little tread wear. Wish I had a crystal ball.

H2H1

same here Triple E, if I had a crystal ball it would make life a lot easier. any way going tomorrow my tire store and ck on price and delivery date :( :approve:

G

steve ,, u'r right ,, 36th week of 03 ,, that means u do have almost 6yr old tires ,,, :( :eek:
As Jeff said ,, the weeks start out as 1 = january ,, but u know there are 4 weeks in a month ,, so it would actually be 1-4 = january ,,, 5 would start in febuary ,, u get the idea :approve: :approve:

H2H1

OK went this morning and got a price to replace all 7 tires plus balancing all. But before I tell u the price, I would like to know what you think of B F Goodrich Tires. I have heard that they were made by Michelin but I don't really know if that is true. maybe someone can enlighten me on that part. OK now the price for all seven plus balancing AND TAX COME TO $ 2255. and some change. So are the BF good and is this a fair price? thanks for your reply