motor home vs travel trailer

bikerb2

Wife and I plan to travel and I am trying to decide between a class a motorhome and a 5th wheel trailer. I have a 1999 chevy 1/2 ton with 5.4 lt eng. The trailer I have selected is a 30' trail lite fifth wheel that weighs in at 5000LB dry. I am reasonably sure I can pull with truck I have. I have found a 32ft itasca class a motorhome that I also like. Its used 1994 model but seems to have been carefully cared for. An underlying factor is I also love to ride motorcycles and would like to trailer mine with me. I realize that the only way this will work is with the motorhome. Is it worth it? What are all the plus and minuses of each ? I am in a quandry ---any thoughts would be appreciated from more experienced rv'rs
A

Kirk

First of all, we are fulltime in a motorhome, so obviously we think that it is best, at least for us. But which will be best really depends upon you. Generally the motorhome has the advantage of far more outside storage than a fifth wheel and the fact that you can tow a trailer with the bike, or we tow a Honda CR-V to drive while traveling. It is probably somewhat less challenging to park a motorhome than a fifth wheel of the same size, though I don't think that is a major issue for either.

A fifth wheel will have more living space than a motorhome of the same size, due to the lack of a cab. And with a trailer, you do not have the entire house in the shop when it is time for maintenance. And you can trade tow vehicles without replacing the trailer.

Generally, people who move around a lot tend to prefer motorhomes and those who stay longer like fivers. But that isn't a hard rule either.

We like the advantage of having access to the potty and the refridgerator when on the road. But we also have two engines to maintain. So I guess it is still your call. We also like being able to stop for the night in a parking lot if the roads get bad, and we just lower the jacks, start the genset, and crank up the TV antenna and we are set for the night. We don't even have to go outside! If you ever park where there is no power, very few fivers have a genset. And most do not have power leveling jacks.

Good travelin! ......Kirk
www.1tree.net/adventure

Ron Schwartz

Kirk has said it better than I could. I also have a Class A, that is what seams to work best for us. Everyone has diferent tastes, thats why they make both. Either way I'm sure you will enjoy your travels.
Ron

connie

I am also having a problem deciding whether to buy a motor home or travel trailer. My husband and I want to retire within 2 years. He is afraid a good motor home will cost too much and that a travel trailer is less money and less problems. We have 3 dogs we take with us when we travel I feel that it would be alot easier in a motor home. We wouldn't have to crate them and put them in the car everytime we drive.
How much would one expect to spend for a good reliable new motor home vs. a good new travel trailer about 28 feet.
Thanks, Connie

jerry fuhrman

quote:
I am also having a problem deciding whether to buy a motor home or travel trailer. My husband and I want to retire within 2 years. He is afraid a good motor home will cost too much and that a travel trailer is less money and less problems. We have 3 dogs we take with us when we travel I feel that it would be alot easier in a motor home. We wouldn't have to crate them and put them in the car everytime we drive.
How much would one expect to spend for a good reliable new motor home vs. a good new travel trailer about 28 feet.
Thanks, Connie