Mountain Towing

buckbs

Sorry, but another question from a newbie. I have a brand new 2002 F-350 PSD, auto trans., 4.10 axel with LS, transmission and oil cooler, dual rear axel, and my installed accurate pyro, tranny, and boost gauges.

I plan on towing my new 12,700lb (dry wt.)fifth wheel through the rockies next year. Will I be okay, or do I need to install a thermostatically controlled fan for the cooler and an exhaust brake. These will probably void my Ford extended warranty, so I want to stay stock.

Am I going to be okay if I take it easy up and down the mountain passes watching the gauges and pulling over if I overheat, or do I need addiotional equipment? Really appreciate any help that you can give me since I know some of you guys have done this many times.

buckbs
2002 F-350 PSD dualie
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 35LKSA

lookn-ahead

Mountain Towing

buckbs, My F-250 is also a PSD and I have towed in some pretty steep mountains here east of the Mississippi. The radiator and tranny cooler do a great job and I have never seen the temp gauge above the 'normal' point. I am not sure what effect the higher elevations in the Rockies will have. I do know that the higher the altitude the lower the boiling point is for most liquids. We traveled the Rocky Mountain states extensively for a few years, but never pulled a travel trailer or 5er there, (Now have a MH) but even with a shell on the truck and a flatbed utility trailer I would have liked to have had the benefit of the exhaust brake. Most of the really steep and tall passes we found were in southern to central Colorado mountains. With six and a half tons behind me I would take it REALLY easy coming down some of those passes.
Enjoy the trip, hope to be back in the Spring
doc

buckbs

Mountain Towing

Hertig,

I have a 7.3L Powerstroke Ford 275hp diesel with a 4.10 limited slip dual rear axel. I also have oil and transmission coolers. I am more concerned about the automatic transmission temps. The only modification I have done is to add ACCURATE gauges to monitor the engine and transmission temperatures. The gauges that Ford furnishes in the dash are more for show than anything else and are highly inaccurate according to people in the know.

It's just that I'm a little concerned about the altitude and the grades. I took a 400 mile trip this past week in no mountains, and my pyrometer never went above 800 degrees and my tranny temp was 150 on the road and 180 in stop and go traffic.

Thanks for your interest, and I appreciate any help.

buckbs
2002 F-350 PSD dualie
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 12,700lb fifth wheel