Mppt solar charge controller

Blevidw

I am new to all this and confused about mppt solar charge controller. I've been reading but it's just not clear
If I have a 100/20 controller does that mean I have to ensure that my solar panel array is configured in such a way that the output from the panels is no more than 100 volts and 20 amps coming into the controller
OR
Does it mean that the controllers output will be restricted to 100volts and 20 amps regardless of what is coming in from the panels
OR
Does it mean something completely different?

Last edited:

helloDog

I think your numbers are off.
My 20 amp mppt says max 260 watts at 12 volts which is also max 520 watts at 24 volts.
I doubt you are doing 100 volts. Did you mean 100 watts?
100 watts is nothing, any 10 amp or above controller will handle a 100 watt solar panel.

You need to know the watts and volts your panel puts out so you do not put more into the controller than is rated for. You cannot put 300 watts into my 20 amp controller because it is rated at max of 260 watts at 12 volts.
Always get a little bigger controller than the panels put out.
Typical 100 watt panels might be 100 watts and 18 volts (open circuit) - is still called a 12 volt panel even though it puts out 18 volts with no load on it (when you just measure the voltage at the panels wires).

If you have two 100 watt panels then you can run them parallel into the controller as two 100 watt 12 volt panels totaling 200 watts at 12 volts
or
you can run them in series as effectively a 200 watt panel at 24 volts.
Amps will be the same on either method, the controller can exactly handle both wattages and voltages in this instance just the same.
The controller should be able to adjust the output voltage to match the battery, so 24 volts in and 12 volts out of the controller for a 12 volt battery, but you cant put 12 in and get 24 out.