My coach is all over the road????? Spartan Mountain Chasis... How does your coach handle??

trd91577

Greetings fellow RV'ers. I bought a 95 Beaver Patriot 40' about 2 months ago. I have been extremely happy with everything except for the handling. I took it to Blyth CA this weekend and it about wore me out driving it 150 miles. It was very windy but I think there is more to it than that. It kinda pulls to left and I catch myself really working the wheel. The tires are good and everything under the front end look tight. I looked back through the maintenance records and it looks like the last owner had it in the shop with the same complaints. I don't think its the tires.

The shop ticket shows that they checked the front end and checked the alignment and all was good. IS there something I should have checked for myself? I am wondering about some sort of aftermarket device. I seen something for sale in Camping World "Steer Safe". Does anyone have any experience with these units?

How does your coach handle? Does it wonder on the road? :question:

C Nash

Re: My coach is all over the road????? Spartan Mountain Chasis... How does your coach handle??

trd91577, the first thing I would recomend is weighing each wheel. I would also ck the alignment again and all stablizers and bushing. Sure you have checked tire air pressure. I have steer safe on my MH but it is on the Ford chassis and i recommend them on gas units. How many miles on the Beaver? If the tires are original it's time for replacement of all because of age. What brand of tires are on it? Are they the correct size? you should not have this problem IMO with this unit. Get in touch with the former owner and ask what he has done to correct this. let us know what you find. Good luck

Bush70

Re: My coach is all over the road????? Spartan Mountain Chasis... How does your coach handle??

safe t steer is a stablizer for the front end that works pretty good.

Cookieman

I would check the tires for all of that..had the same thing happen to me as I was doing tires bands for my company..
some would turn harder and some easier and some was all ove the road..
I would go to a tire company and have them check the tires and see if they are made for the rv that you are driving...
hope this help some..

beaverjim

there is a company called howard power center steering. the system actually lets you dial up your centering preasure via a remote unit up to 150 psi. you then push the trim button and you now have a new center position. the system works great in high winds, trucks passing, high crown roads etc. i've had one of these units on the last two pushers we've ownd. but i still would address your initial problem first. :)

hertig

That sounds interesting. How does it work when the high winds are intermittant or the passing trucks are intermittant?

beaverjim

john once you set the trim to you new center position it doesn't matter about the wind or trucks you coach just basicly stays put. i've tried the other devices, which do help but when you have the ability to adjust the exact amount of centering pressure for your given circumstance, that makes it much better! but then i guess it should since its the most expensive one out there ha!ha! :)