nada prices

mikebough

I looked up the value of my motorhome(2003 providence) on the nada web site. The low retail was $103,960 and the high retail was $125,250. After listing the options, it has the total price at $122,360 low retail and $147,535 as the high retail. What I am looking for is if there are any ex-dealers out there that can give me some idea of what I can expect at trade in. Also can anyone give me an idea of what a dealers cost on a $205,000 2006 providence would be, as fleetwood is trying to trade me out of this unit at dealers cost.

Thanksfor any help
Mike

ARCHER

nada prices

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum. Try Blue Book also, as it lists wholesale as well as retail. The wholesale amount is probably what dealer is looking at, as they want to sell at retail and buy at wholesale....... If you know how much you want for your rig on trade in, stick by it. It is no different than buying a car... You will get your best price if you sell it outright, even if you have to come down some. Dealers are there to make a profit, both on trades and on new ones, so just remember IT IS YOUR MONEY, NOT THEIRS. If you have to go to another dealer do it. Why are you selling a three year old rig? Problems with it? Good luck

Krazeehorse

nada prices

Just like cars, I would rely on the market more than a publication. NADA and Blue Book get their numbers by sampling sales and taking averages. And there aren't nearly as many RV transactions as there are car or light truck. So if you want to know what your vehicle is worth check out classifieds both online and on paper. If you watch a particular model of vehicle on Ebay you will soon get a good idea what it will bring. And I think that is pretty close to retail. A dealer will be able to get more because he has more lookers and he needs to get more because he usually is going to offer more support during and after the sale than an owner does.

Kirk

nada prices

If you are looking at the NADA internet site, it is of little value. If you do not have one, go to the library and ask in the reference section for a copy of the NADA RV book or the Kelly Blue Book. What a dealer actually allows for the value of an RV starts with the wholesale value, usually from one of those two books. Remember that the dealer is going to sell what you trade in for around the retail price and he must pay a sales commission and make a profit from each sale. For that reason, the dealers work from wholesale. As to the price for the new unit, generally the actual cost was between 32% and 40% less than the MSRP. I always just laugh when a sales person talks of trading you at the dealer cost. That just doesn't happen and if it did, the dealer would loose money and would soon be out of business. Think about it. If he sold the unit to you for his cost, it would leave him paying the sales commission, the overhead load that is assigned to each unit, and any "floor plan" interest costs, all from his own pocket since he sold to you at his cost. That is just one more sales department lie.

The dealer most likely paid between $130k - #140K for the one he wants to sell you.

hertig

nada prices

When I was looking at the NADA book, I noticed what seemed like a reliable increase between Wholesale, Low Retail and Average Retail (don't remember what they were, though) Get a glance at the book at the library or your bank, and do the math. Should then be able to figure out the wholesale from the retail values given online.

Generally, 75% of list is considered a 'good' deal on a new unit. Make sure you verify what list really is, as there are some dealers who will 'fudge' this value to make a deal seem better. When I first saw my 5th wheel, the 'list' was about $18000. When I saw the 'same' trailer a year later, the list was quoted at $22000. Could have even been the exact same trailer. I think they were quoting the list for a 2002 trailer even though the one they were trying to sell was a 2001...

The dealer is going to attempt to get your unit for less than wholesale, or sell you the new unit at a higher price than you need to pay, or finance you at a profit. Or a combination of these :) You need to know the 'actual value' of both units.

For instance, based on the numbers you provided, I would be trying to upgrade for around $45,000. Which means I would start the bargaining around $30,000. This would be most practical if you had the cash in hand. Having a pre-approved loan in your back pocket may be nearly as good. Compare the financing they are offering with your own to see how good a deal it really is. I didn't do my homework on the motorhome, and ended up with a 20 year loan which I find is rather long for a RV.

s.harrington

nada prices

If you want to get an average asking price go to www.rvtrader.com and see what they are going for. This will give you a general idea. Always look at the ones in your area since rigs will sell for different prices in different areas. Never Trade one that new in you will never get what they are worth.