NADA RV Pricing, Versus, Kelly Blue-Book Pricing?

cranky

Hi folks, curious how close these are, or which is more accurate. Mainly as a ballpark figure as I know condition matters. Thanks for any replies. I'm looking to buy.

hertig

Re: NADA RV Pricing, Versus, Kelly Blue-Book Pricing?

As I recall when I was shopping, the NADA guides were lower than Blue Book. So I would tend to use NADA when buying and Blue Book when selling :) But the NADA is online, so I always use it for a first approximation. Would use paper books when things get serious, and whichever one was in my favor.

cranky

RE: NADA RV Pricing, Versus, Kelly Blue-Book Pricing?

Thanks! I guess it's the time of year, but folks seem to be pricing to the moon. I can understand people want to get as much money as posible...... but I work hard for my money and I'm not into overpaying either. They are pricing them way higher than book price, the rig is "Not all there" and are not motivated whatsoever. That's OK, I don't need one at the moment, and perhaps I'll see them in the winter time. :)

ARCHER

Cranky welcome to the forum. Lots of folks overprice when trying to sell (unless they are in a real bind) knowing that a buyer will offer less (normally) and they are willing to come down to a reasonable price to sell. If not, you keep looking til ya find what you want and the seller is willing to meet your price.

hertig

The NADA/Blue Books are not gospel, they are just guidelines. But they are guidelines used by most 'official' people involved in RVs, such as groups which provide loans, and some buyers. Also, a dealer will 'never' pay more than wholesale for a used unit (and often not that much :) ) So, it is wise not to pay higher than the appropriate book value unless there is a provable reason it is worth more. And keep in mind that 'retail' refers to a sale by a dealer. Don't pay it to a private party. The appropriate 'book' value for that is somewhere between wholesale and the lowest retail price listed since neither of you are a dealer or entitled to those values.

And never start your negotiations at any book or other computed value, you want to have room to move up during negotiations.

cranky

Hi folks, and thanks for the welcome. The sellers I've been talking to are private party. They seem to be looking for 20-50% OVER high retail pricing. One came down to about 10% over high retail LOL. Just to be clear, I'm not just a price shopper. But I do want good value for my hard earned money. I just don't care to send their kids to the best college out there (if ya know what I mean :)).

Especially if the rig is not all there. Anyway, I used to own a class "C" and miss it. In the meantime, and until I find a seller that wants to be in reality...... I've been picking up things I'll need to go with the one I find. I even have coffee and a pot too. Hahaha

hertig

What do they say when you show them the value from the books? And remind them that 'retail' is from a dealer? And remind them that the RV market is soft at the moment because of the ridiculous gas prices?

cranky

I really don't go too far mentioning the above. I do let them know that not everybody has the money for one of these. I'm not well off by a long shot, and as mentioned worked hard for what I have. Like I said, I'll pay for what's fair and no more. They are aware of the values, but like one guy mentioned he's looking for someone that "Has" to have one NOW. I told him I don't need anything. Like I said, I'm not going to get upset anymore. When the right one is available and my gut says it's for me, then it's for me.

Man, I have a hobby and thought the dealers were a piece of work..... these RV sellers are private owners and think they're dealers Hahaha

I do miss going out in an RV, fishing, relaxing etc. And I guess with the weather nice now they feel they can hook a live one. Funny thing is they still have it and won't budge. Perhaps winter will be a better time. It's also a good time to see if there are any leaks. Some of these sellers don't even want to show how things work. I say, "Let's light the water heater, and turn the pump on."
Them...... "well, there's no water in it." Hahahaha

C Nash

Cranky A lot of the time the private owners are upside down and owe more than the rv is worth. Going to see a lot of this (IMO) in the next few years because of low down payments and long term loans. keep looking good buys are out there.

joet

hello - check my tioga out in danville nh.

joet

the nada for my tioga is 43600.00 i'm asking 38900.00 it has 11,000 mi 2003 model year. does anybody think i'm a private seller who thinks i'm a dealer? alot of the motor homes from dealers are former rentals. these people are not seasoned rv owners.