neat customer idea

G

we just got almost finished with a custom remodel today ,, i had a customer that wanted a battery put in just for his genset ,,, he had a storage bin that was only being used for rags and stuff ,, anyway we fabricated a battery box and put in a normal group 24 battery ,, we redid the wiring so that the genset would start off the new batt and the others ,, via another seleniod ,, we also wired it up to charge while on shore power ,, we still have to wire it up to the alt to charge while going down the road ,, but i will have to take the alt off and rebuild it with bigger windings to do that ,,, he took the coach today ,, cause he wanted to get to his family for thankgiving ,, but he woud be back in a couple of weeks to let us finish the job ,,, i asked why he wanted this ,, he replied that he wanted the genset to start ,, no matter what happened to all the other batteries ,,, so far it's working great ,, and he's happy,, if it works out for him ,, i might do the same on my coach,,, :approve: ;) :) :)

benwd

Re: neat customer idea

Rebuild an alternator with bigger windings? I didn't know that could be done.

G

yea u can do that ,, u just take for example ,, a 60 amp alt ,, and u then install 100amp or what ever windings and a new regulator ,, and it's done ,, i have done this many of times ,, back in the old days ( :laugh: ) A customer would come into the shop and say " my alt light is is kinda on , but it's dim"
So we would tear it apart and install what they call i diode trio (on chevy's)
But anyway ,, it would work ,, after that i learned how to rebuild a complete alt..
The shop i was at had growlers and such (they test the windings of the alt & starter) but anyway i learned alot from there and yes ,, i have built a few really big alts ,, and bty i does cost some $$$$ too ,,, to do this ,, :eek: ;) :)

C Nash

730, that sure brings back memories :) Days of replacing diodes are gone :eek: I replaced windings in alts when I installed ac units way back then to up the amps. Test the neg and pos diodes and have just replace one but that was when tha regulators were external. Now you just replace the whole alternator :(

G

yea i know Nash ,, how about relining brake shoes,, u know when u had to bond them and then grind them to the arc,, and then there was the riveted type :eek: ..
man we thought that was the thing :approve:
How about alignments ,, u used a chalk line on the rear wheels ,, and then set u'r pole to the rear wheel chalk lines and the tranfered it to the front,,,,
What a simple life ,, then there was carb O/H ,, but i won't get into that ;) ;) :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bty ,, what is a carb ,,,, and how do u set points :question: :question: :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

How did we do all those settings. We even had to do the tune. Darn, these new Tech don't know what they are missing. When I frist started we were called greese monkeys, then mechanics and now man we are TECHNICANS. Well, now I'm a were or has been :(

G

Agreed !!!!! Boy when i started out ,,, the computers were the thing of the future ,, and now if u don't have a lap top and a gazzlion dollars worth of software ,, then u'r behind ,, i just updated my scanner the other day and it cost $500.00 :eek: :eek: ,, but then again u got to be up to date :dead: ..
I do wish that all was of the old times ,, a tuneup ,, plugs ,, cap ,, wires ,, points,, carb adjust,, timing adjust,, and how about the on car wheel balance :eek: :eek: ..
Well i guess that has allgone with the river or the tide ,,, but then agian it was modern ,, back then,, and we lived to learn more :approve: :approve: :eek:
So where are we going ,, for the future :question: :question:
We already have rigs that have 5 or more on board puters ,, and the there is the stuff inside the rigs ,, such as motion lights ,, and automatic computer controlled showers ,, and pre programmed dump valves ,,, so what next,,, a computer to drive us to our next camp sight,, and think all we have to do is sleep :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ;) :cool:

C Nash

heaters were a option, ac only for a few, engine was not sideways :laugh: rear wheels still pushed, rolled the windows down with a handle, only am radio and one station at night what was those call leters?,power steering was muscles in your arms, 95 HP wow :eek: , duel points on the flat head ford under the fan, power brakes was how big your foot was, 2 dr HT meant no post between the front and rear window,100k on engine was wow, 60MPH meant 3500RPM, two valves per cyl, lead in gas, 100 octain, 100MPH was really moving, spark plug in tailpipe for flames :laugh: just for a few