NEED ADVICE

don miller

I WOULD VERY LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS A 330 CAT ENGINE, AND IF IT HAS THE POWER FOR A 36FT, HOME PULLING A MED SIZE TOW. :question: :question:

rv wizard

NEED ADVICE

I don't have a Cat but Cummins 330 and even though the Cummins has a little more torque than the Cat I think that it would be very adequate with a 6 speed tranny to hanlde a 36' coach and medium size toad.

Butch

NEED ADVICE

While the Cat is not one of my favorites. The 330 most probably being coupled to the Allison 3000 6 speed transmission makes an excellent combination. I would think it more than adequate for a 36 footer... :) JMHO :)

genel

NEED ADVICE

Would these generally positive responses to a 330 Cat on a 36ft rig apply to a 300 Cummins on a similarly sized rig? In addition, several salesmen (I know this represents a notoriosly unreliable source of info)have indicated the difference between a 300 and 330 Cummins is a "chip" and the 300 can be retroed to a 330. Sounds suspicious to me. However, if true has anyone explored cost, benefits, etc.

rv wizard

NEED ADVICE

The 300 hp Cummins will have about the same torque as the 330 Cat. The Hp ratings on the Cummins can be increased through the software to the control board on the motor. It can be done by any Authorized Cummins dealer and prices vary from $500 to $750. You can actually take the 8.3 Cummins to 370 hp but the Allison Mh3000 or MD3060 is not rated for that much Hp. Remember the more Hp the more fuel usage.

Starship

NEED ADVICE

With this engine I think the tranny is the final answer.
I have the 300hp cummins in a 36ft MH (toad is Jeep GC) with 6sp allison.
Everthing works just fine and gets me (quite comfortably) from point A to point B, on a regular basis.
Would think the 330 would be just fine in the application you described.

genel

NEED ADVICE

Just acquired a preowned 2002 300HP Kountry Star and have only driven a relatively short distance. Would you be willing to share your experiences with what is a similar vehicle to mine? Interested in mileage, performance and maintenance tips. I did a lot of research and would like to confirm my findings. Thanks!

Relative

NEED ADVICE

38 Ft 1995 Country Coach Magna, 300HP Cummins 8.3L, Allison MD3060 6-speed, Banks Stinger package.

GVWR is 32,000 lbs.
Mileage running about 65mph is roughly 8.5mpg.
Mileage running about 55mph is roughly 9.2mpg.
No problems up/down hills towing Subaru Legacy Outback - about 3400lbs
As far as maintenance tips, do what the manufacturer says. In addition, I added an external bypass filter and also have oil analyzed at each recommended change interval.

Mike