Need Help! Looking for Class A to survive GA Winter

offgrid99

I am in need of a Motorhome to live full time in and it must be able to survive the North Georgia Winters. I am told that I should get something with a winter package, double paned windows etc. I was looking at a 1999 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3205 but not sure if I will have problems with that or not. My budget is 10-15K and 1999 or newer. I currently live here in S.FL. I am told that RV's are cheaper in other states than here. I was planning on taking a road trip starting on Nov 17th to travel to other states to see some and if I find the right one at the right price, buy it. But then I have the other problem, how do I get it home? I own a small car which I plan to be able to tow but have to have a flat bed due to it being a hybrid. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

akjimny

Most any RV, motorhome or trailer, will survive a winter if it is properly prepared. I have no info on the Georgie Boy but others on the forum may have some model specific info for you. In general, if you wrap electrical heat tape and insulation around your water hose and sewer hose and make sure your holding tanks are insulated, you should have no problems. One thing to remember is skirting. Hay bales (the square ones) work good and are cheap. They provide some insulation value and stop cold breezes from whistling under your rig. Get one or two small electric heaters and rent a 100 gallon propane tank and you should be set. Some of the other forum members will provide other info that I have missed.

As for towing your hybrid, you can use either a trailer, like you said, or a tow dolly. Dollys are cheaper and often don't have to be licensed, depending on your home state. Florida doesn't require a license plate on a tow dolly. I live down here in Florida too and right now we seem to have a glut of used motorhomes. I would check witth some oif the dealers down here before looking elsewhere.

Good luck with your adventure and post back to let us know how you do.:):)

Triple E

Hello and welcome to RVUSA. :applause: You can always rent a car hauler from U-Haul to get the car back home if needed. Are you sure about your Hybrid. I have a Ford Escape Hybrid and flat towing is not a problem. The Ford Focus Hybrid is also tow able with all four down. I do not know which Hybrid you have but you might recheck that out again.

http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles

Jimmy gave you good advice on the set up for winter. Listen to him and you won't have any problems.

offgrid99

Hybrid Towing

Triple E;75157 said:
Hello and welcome to RVUSA. :applause: You can always rent a car hauler from U-Haul to get the car back home if needed. Are you sure about your Hybrid. I have a Ford Escape Hybrid and flat towing is not a problem. The Ford Focus Hybrid is also tow able with all four down. I do not know which Hybrid you have but you might recheck that out again.

http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles

Jimmy gave you good advice on the set up for winter. Listen to him and you won't have any problems.

Yep 100% positive on the towing part. I have a Toyota Prius. When you put it in park or otherwise turn off the car, the transmission lock is engaged. Any turning of wheels will damage the transmission. I checked with Toyota, and they told me that the only way it could be towed without damage is a flatbed where all 4 wheels are off the ground.

Thank you for for the other advice. I'm in process of checking out the RV auction at the weeks end to see if I can get a nice deal from one of the banks. I have a guy taking me who said I should be able to get something really nice for about 30-50% off of NADA values. My fingers are crossed. Thanks.

Kirk

With a budget as small as you have you may have to settle for something a bit less than you are seeking. My 1998, gas chassis, 35' motorhome has a retail value in that range but as you get much newer that price will quickly get above $15K. Have you found anything as yet?

Wyotraveler

Full time RVing is getting better and better. Back in the 90s it was more difficult paying bills, and having internet connections like Wi-fi.

Wyotraveler

My Geo Tracker had that key off position that locked everything. Easy fix, turn the key on to the first click. Worked for me. I towed it a lot of miles on all 4s.

try2findus

CRAP SPAM AT THAT.......

How can a spammer with two posts be a Junior Member? Is his name pronounced JERK? :stupid:

Wyotraveler

I think you are right. The Junior member just spelled his name wrong. It should be Jerk. Just a spammer. I live in Wyoming. Although you can buy snow tires, I never use them. Most good quality tires now have a M & S rating. Up here I would recommend 4WD if you have to travel very far from the main highway to get home. We have a couple of steep hills that don't always get plowed.