Need HELP!!!

Danielle

My fiancé and I are looking to purchase a 5th wheel to live in when we get married next June. I have seen many models and talked to numerous sales people who all tell me different information.

For example, one guy said that an RV with an aluminum frame means that the inside of the frame is entirely aluminum and framED means that only the doors and windows are surrounded by aluminum and the frame is actually made of wood.

Another piece of advice I was told was that Fiberglass RVs keep you warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer and that aluminum is better for RV travelers and is less expensive.

We are looking for a 30-37 ft 5th wheel with a split bath. I have been told since we are going to purchase an RV to live in and will be stationary for 3-5 yrs to find a 4-season trailer with a belly undercover, 2 air system.

I don’t know which brand or model would be the best to purchase and cost below 40,000. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Please email me at cowgurlup_texas@yahoo.com

hertig

Need HELP!!!

Do you have any experiance 'living' in an RV? If not, I would suggest renting or borrowing one and try it to ensure it will be something you can tolerate.

If you are not going to be towing it, why limit yourself to a fifth wheel? You may find a travel trailer with a floor plan which suits you better, although some fifth wheels are better for the extremely tall. And if you will ever tow it, you will need to make sure that whatever vehicle you will tow it with is up to the task.

Make sure that whatever unit you get is 'rated' for fulltime usage. Many 'Recreational' vehicles are too 'flimsy' to use for more than a month or 3 per year, and sometimes they void the warranty if you do.

RVs can usually deal with heat fairly well (dual AC is better than single, but needs 50 Amp service which is less available and often more expensive). The problem area is usually cold. If you burn enough propane and/or have electric heaters and blankets, you can usually keep yourself warm enough. An insulation package helps. However, if the weather is below freezing, you have to keep the RV 'warm' too (to keep the liquid systems from freezing and splitting). If the tanks and plumbing is enclosed, make sure the heater is routed to that bay and/or have a light bulb or other heater in there. If they are exposed, you will need to have tank and pipe heaters. In either case, you will need to protect the external hookup too.

One other possible problem with cold is condensation inside the RV. Dual pane windows help cut this down, and help the insulation as well.

For that price, you may be able to find a better unit used, if you have the ability to deal with any problems (even a new one is only 'covered' for generally 2 years or less, and you will need to tow it to the 'shop' to get service). Also don't forget to factor in any costs of where the unit will be parked in addition to the utilities including propane.

s.harrington

Re: Need HELP!!!

If you are still looking to buy, the Montana is a good one. In fact many Keystone products are aluminum framed and reasonably priced.