Need policy guidance and technical information

Buckaroo

Hi,
I'm new to RVing and this site. Have been looking at class B's because the wife does not like the size of A's and the cab over look of C's. B's look like what I need for point to point travel with an occassional overnighter. Besides, the wife will help with the driving. I've looked at a Trail-Lite B-Plus with a slide out, a Rialta and, of course, a Chinook. I'm looking for info concerning the quality and reputation of the Trail-Lite and Rialta and the pros and cons of the V6 Passat engine in the Rialta. Any other suggestions would be helpful. I'd like to stay between $40,000 and $65,00.
THX,
Charlie Gulf

C Nash

Hi Charlie, sorry I can't be of help on your questions but, we'll get it bumped back to the top and maybe someone can help.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

tartan23455

I too am having the same problem finding any information on the reliability of the afore mentioned units. Anyone having any info wouls be very much appreciated.

hertig

I was seriously considering a class B for just this purpose (point to point travel plus use as a second vehicle), but in the end, I couldn't justify the cost ($600 a night as much use as I would get out of it). Still its a cool idea if you are travelling to get somewhere where you have a place to stay. With a generator, microwave, fridge, toilet and bed, you can cut way down on time and money spent on resturants and motels.

One option to consider is to have one custom built for you. Pick your favorite van (chevy, ford or dodge) and design the features you want, and presto, exactly what you want. You can buy the van through them or provide your own. One of the nicest features is a pop top which raises the entire roof so the interior height is over 6 1/2 feet, and you can even sleep up there. If you are interested, let me know and I will attempt to remember the name of the company (they've been in business for over 20 years, but my memory is only good for about 20 minutes). Price is fairly reasonable. My dad was planning to go this route, but got talked into a 3/4 ton van by the dealer, which is too light for most of the really good options (generator, decent battery bank, larger tanks).

The Rialta is the nicest layout I've seen so far in a production unit, and the engine is claimed to move you along with traffic while getting 19 MPG. Of course, claim and reality have, on rare occasion, been known to diverge :) Also, the price is way up there. Note that I've not yet seen a class B with a slide out, which could change my opinion.

I haven't heard anything bad about the newer (VW) Rialtas, but the old ones, built on the Renault chassis, are said to be a pox upon the land. Even if you find one in good shape, I doubt it will perform well and when it does break, try finding parts and/or someone competant and reasonable to work on it...

Look out for anything which requires major work to transition between travel mode and usable mode. I saw one lady spend 3 hours getting her van (looked like a VW with a slanted pop top) ready to stay in. Presumably she had to do the reverse before she could drive off. Don't know how much of this was due to the design of the unit and how much to the skills of the user.

hertig

The company which custom makes class B motorhomes is Sportsmobile, the pop top (Penthouse) provides an interior height of 6'10", and they've been been in business for over 40 years.