need some advise again

weekend campers

We are wanting to purchase some 2 way radio's for our 5th wheel, does anyone have ideal which ones work the best that are priced reasonable. Any help would be appreciated. :blush:

tallyo

Re: need some advise again

Not to discourage you too much; but I read an article not long ago, where a couple were using radios and another couple near by were also using radios and.. well one driver followed the wrong directions and there was almost a disaster.

I like line of site with the boss when we are backing up etc.

weekend campers

ok scarey I was planning on being in his site just thought it would be helpful to be able to talk to him instead of screaming :laugh: I never do it the right way new to this and my directions are not the best.

TexasClodhopper

We use Motorola 'Talkabout' model T5920. I used them in my business for several years, and then just brought them home. They are now probably 5 years old. They have extra power capability and extra channels. In other words, channels that most of the cheap UHF handhelds don't have, but are totally legal.

They came with rechargeable batteries, but I use 3 AA alkaline to great advantage now.

We use them everywhere, but for backing up into sites we still use the vision and hand signal method, too.

weekend campers - 2/18/2008 6:56 AM ok scarey I was planning on being in his site just thought it would be helpful to be able to talk to him instead of screaming :laugh: I never do it the right way new to this and my directions are not the best.

weekend campers

Thank you Texas Clodhopper couldnt find the T 5920 but did find T9500 they run from 79.00 to 89.00 does that sound about right? Suppose to carry up to 25 miles but don't know if I believe that :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

I did a google search on "Motorola T6500R GMRS" and found lots of hits. Apparently, the T5920 is now a T6500. The T6500 looks exactly like the T5920s that I have. Usually, there is a 'twin-pack' offered.

I wouldn't know about a "T9500". Perhaps you mistyped?

No handheld UHF radio will effectively communicate 25 miles. A half-mile is practical unless you are just testing, or you are communicating through a repeater (which would be a commercial application).

If you get them, then get on our chat room. We can discuss features there in real time, and I'll help you set them up proper. ;)

hamdave

Technicall/legally what you are talking about are the FRS/GMRS type of radio. Using the standard FRS freq/pair sets you are limited to 1/2 watt, fixed antenna and NO LICENSE needed. If you use the GMRS freq/pairs, you are supposed to have a GMRS radio license, Cost is now $85.00 for 5 years. Now B4 I get slammed by those who say you dont need a license, let me tell you YOU-REALLY-LEGALLY-DO!! You may get away with not having one, but if you should ever get reported and caught, the fine is $10000 and could also be jail time. I have a GMRS because I don't want to put my amateur license in jeopardy.

Cheers

TexasClodhopper

I should have mentioned the license, but I totally forgot I had to get one. Thanks Dave. I'll never slam anyone for doing the right thing. (Heck, I even had a CB radio license - KDU9847!)

I have my GMRS license sticky labeled to the back of my radios in the MH, and I can't remember the call letters.

I don't remember it costing me that much, Dave. I guess you looked it up, but it sure don't sound like me to pay that much for anything! :) (Well, it was a required business expense at the time.)

hamdave

No problem Tex, it has just gone up over the years just like everything else. I just got mine a few months ago, and the cost was $85.00 for five years.

My amateur call is KD8W

Cheers