Need Wiring Help

GoBucks

I recently got a 1985 Yellowstone 27' 5th. I have a GMC Sierra which has a "6 way" wiring harness. The cable that came with the 5th has a 7way plug on it for the truck end and the trailer end. It also has a 6 way connector in the middle for some reason. Sounds like a mess I know. My main questions are: If the 5th has a 7way receptor does that mean it was wired for a 7 way (usually) ? And should i take the 6 way connector out completely? When I pulled it home, I had brake and tail light on the right side only. No running, or backup lights. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... Thanks Everyone!

ARCHER

Need Wiring Help

Contact Yellowstone for wiring diagram and go from there. Also, you ought to be able to use a voltmeter to check for correct location of wiring to match your GMC. I used a 12 volt tester and was able to change my wires to line up with trailer to tow vehicle.

Ed H.

Need Wiring Help

You will be using only 6 wires anyway, so which connector you use is up to you. I would suggest contacting the maker of the connector you choose to find out their "standard pattern" for the wires. This is very important if there's even the slightest chance that the truck will be used with another trailer or vice-versa. If you happen to put the brake wire on the hot or running light terminal, there could be a real smoke show when someone else hooks up.

ARCHER

Need Wiring Help

As an add on....I contacted Winnebago and they provided me a detailed wiring diagram for my hitch wiring connection....made it real easy to move the wires around in the connector to match my dolly. :laugh: