Nevada residency-pros/cons?

pezar

Does anybody here have Nevada residency? I'd like to know what you think of it. They have no income tax, but my understanding is that their licensing fees tend to be on the high side, and you actually have to drive your RV to Reno or Vegas to get a "VIN check". I live in California now and would prefer when I go full time to have domicile in NV, but if SD or TX is better all around then I'll do that.

DL Rupper

Re: Nevada residency-pros/cons?

I used Nevada for a year while full-timing, but can't remember anything good or particularly bad about it. I think i switched to Florida because the mail forwarding from Good Sam (Homebase ) in Florida worked better than anything available in Nevada at the time. I found Florida to be great. I've heard that South Dakota is good also.

I used Texas for a couple of years, but they all of a sudden got very uncooperative when they found out I didn't actually reside in Texas.

Florida on the other hand, didn't seem to mind where I was actually physically located in my travels and went out of its way to allow absentee voting and updating drivers license's on the Internet.

If U use Florida, I had real good mail forwarding service from Good Sam (Homebase) mail forwarding out of Pensacola. Tina at the Good Sam office in Pensacola was very customer oriented and will help U establish residency in the State. Good luck. :)

Kirk

I have no idea why DL had problems, but thousands of us find Texas to be a very good choice. We have been Texas residents using an address from Escapees RV Club for more than ten years and have never had any kind of problem with either the Escapees or with any Texas agency? We have found Livingston and Polk County to be especially helpful since that is the HQ for Escapees and everyone there knows and understands what a fulltimer is and how we live. If you have any doubts, just give them a call and see for yourself just how helpful they will be.

For Tax Billing Information and Auto Registration:
Tax Assessor's Office
416 N. Washington
Livingston, TX. 77351
936-327-6801

For Driver's License Information:
Texas Department of Public Safety
1735 N. Washington
Livingston, TX. 77351
936-327-6806

For other information, just visit http://www.escapees.com/freebooklets.asp and down-load a copy of the free booklet, "How To Become A Real Texan"

DL Rupper

Hey kirk the problem I had was that I didn't belong to Escapees Club and didn't have a street address. For about 2 years they let me use an out of State address and sent registration updates to it. Then they got religion and stopped it all. Florida will let u use the mail forwarding street address. Florida has many dual residents from New York and other older multi State residents so they ACCOMODATE better than most States. :)

Kirk

Texas does recognize more than just Escapees as a legal address, but you are correct that it has to be a Texas address. Could be that the address thing is better in Florida. Do you mean that you have no address in Florida at all? How did you get a Florida driver's license?

akjimny

Florida will give a driver's license to ANYBODY!! You'd have to see some of them to believe it. And as for voting, there are people I know who vote absentee in Florida while voting at their home precinct back in the "Blue License Plate" states. :angry: :angry:

DL Rupper

Kirk, I used the street address of the Mail Forwarding company in Florida to get my Drivers license as opposed to the PO Box # . For all I know U can probably use the PO box #( I only voted one time per election).

South Dakota is geared for the RV'ers also. Think about it. They get more Federal money and more representatives based on population. Why antagonize the RV'ers like Texas did to me. When U full-time U don't live anywhere other than where U spend the night. States need to take advantage of this an ACCOMODATE RV'ers. The State in-turn get the population benefits ($$) without having to provide any benefits ($$) to the absence RV'ers. :laugh: Everybody has a win situation. :eek: :approve:

utmtman

I went to the SD address system last year and have been very happy with it. Except since we changed it to SD we have been stuck in Utah and have done no traveling and will probably not travel until August.

pezar

utmtman - 6/12/2010 4:16 PM

I went to the SD address system last year and have been very happy with it. Except since we changed it to SD we have been stuck in Utah and have done no traveling and will probably not travel until August.

There's a website that offers SD addresses, I think it's something like "realdakotaaddresses"?