New AC

Eddie_Carey

My roof mount units have seen better days. I have seen some newer Class A RVs with what seemed to be be like standard 220 volt systems.

What I would like to know is there anyone who has made this conversion and would like to share their experience.

Eddie

Gary B

New AC

Hi Eddie, there are no 220 VAC rv air conditioners, you won't find any rv parks with 220 VAC power pedestials. Could you be thinking of basement air conditioners as used on some MH's? If so I'm thinking it will much easier and less expensive to just replace/upgrade your roof airs. Good luck. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Eddie_Carey

New AC

220 hook is not an issue, a 3000watt 110 to 220 Step up voltage will take care of that. To purchase the AC unit and Stepup will cost just over half of the cost and installation of the newer roof units, and they will fit in my basement. Reason for the 220 system is for the BTUs a single 110V unit will not work.

Now the suggestion of a Basement unit sounds good, but I've looked and cannot one so that I can compare for pricing.

The main problem that I have with RV parts is when the front ac blower motor went out the replacment was almost $200. Going down to the appliance and hardware store to pick up a blower fan motor for my parents costed around $50. It's getting to where if RV is in front of what you want the price more than triples. Since we have become Full Timers my wife goes to the RV accessories store finds what she wants and then goes to Walmart or Lowes to buy it.

Thanks for your input I'll check on the basement type if you know any dealers that sell them please send me a link.

Thanks
Eddie Carey

Ed H.

New AC

I can tell you the price difference you quoted on the fan motors has nothing to do with the unit being for an RV. It seems like the pricing on those small motors is totally random, but I was told it has to do with economics of scale. If they have to set up the assembly line for just a few units, they have to charge more that if they make thousands of them.
That said, there are RV split-system A/C units, but they are bound to be expensive and require professioinal installation. As Gary said, your best bet is to stay with the original style. A different style of A/C unit may be cheaper in the crate, but the modifications you'll need to do to get it installed and functional will more than offset any upfront savings (kind of like tryng to put a Ford engine in a Chevy).
Any A/C unit that is not installed properly WILL severely disappoint you. You need to consider not only cooling capacity and power supply, but also air flow and distribution to have the unit be effective. These were already thought of with the rooftop unit you have now.
Just some random thoughts from a recovering A/C technician.

Eddie_Carey

New AC

I completely understand what you are saying. I have crawled into the basements of the RVs with the basement type ac and undersand the ducting for best usage.

As I sit here now the rumble of the roof unit is just something that is completely distracting. This unit I have given an overhaul including the motor replacement, It is the older penguin, I even tried an electric moto shop and they had no replacement and rebuikding it would cost more that the new replacement, that in fact did not fit and needed major modification to fit.

It's not the matter of space, it's just that I want to modernize this RV along with other modificatioins that will bing greater comfort.

For instance Ground control and KVH offer self tracking sat TV and internet at a price above $5000. I can build the same systems using DirecWay and my education from ITT. And I need something to keep this disabled person busy.

Eddie Carey

Gary B

New AC

Hi Eddie, now I understand alittle better what you want to do,I think ;) . As I posted there are no rv ac's that operate on 220 VAC, but I have installed the newer DUO-THERM Brisk Air 15000 BTU unit and it was much quiter than the older units. DUO-THERM also has a high efficiency air model #59530 cost is around $635.00 plus a ceiling assy for for $70.00, you can add a wall thermostat to these. As you have posted installing a basement air to your unit would be very hard, way to much modifacations. Good luck with your projects, keep us updated it you go ahead with the DIY sat project. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Eddie_Carey

New AC

When everything gets moving along I will show step by step images, parts lists and whatever else I can to help another RVer to do the same if they want. All of this will be on my website...for free of course.

My condition disallows me from movement at tmes so my engineers/builders are my wife and son. I just need to work on he cuircitry on some thngs and materials and plans.

Thank you very much for your advise, wisdom is a good thing to share.

Eddie Carey