New arrival

RayinTampa

Stumbled on your forum this morning and have been reading nonstop for about 5 hours. Great place with good info. New to RVing. Just purchaced last week 34' Class A Damon Ultrsport (1994). I want to purchase a dingy that I can tow 4 down with no mods. Could I use a 2002 or 2003 Saturn Automatic tranny?
Thanks, Ray

turnipbwc

New arrival

Ray,
Welcome to the forum. A lot of good people on this forum with a lot of good information. I think RV people are a group of it's own and tend to help others as much as possible.

Good luck with your Damon. I hear the Saturn is a great toad but I never towed one. There will be others on here later to answer that for you.

Again, Welcome to the group and happy RVing. Maybe we will pass on the road some time.
turnip (another Ray from Wheeling WV)

RayinTampa

New arrival

Thanks, wife retires end of March. I have been for sometime now. So we're gettin ready to get on the road with you guys. Maiden voyage should comence about april 2 and last about a month. In the mean time I'll probably be in here with lots of last minute questions.

Ray

hertig

New arrival

I think that Saturns are (or at least used to be) good for towing, but as far as I know, that is their manual transmissions. Hondas also seem to be (have been) popular choices.

C Nash

New arrival

Ray, go to motorhome magazine and they have vehicles listed that can be towed 4 down. Most of the Saturns could be. I tow a 4 door automatic 4x4 Chevrolet tracker. Just put the transmission lever in park, 4 wheel drive in neutral and go. Very light toad and great for off roads. Do have to crank the engine ever 200 miles and run for a few minutes.

turnipbwc

New arrival

C Nash,
I could never understand how you can tow a car when it is in park? How is that possible? Thanks in advance.........
turnip

team3360

New arrival

With the 4x4 option you can shift the transfer case in to netural and the wheels will move like pulling a trailer . Most 4x4's have the netural slot with the exception of the ones that have the automatic 4x4 that engages and disengages as needed TEAM3360

C Nash

New arrival

Turnip, what I am really doing is pushing the ford MH with the Chevy Tracker :laugh: Team 3360 explained it but, to an old mechanic it still kinda blows my mind also :eek:
Watch it Shadow :laugh:

turnipbwc

New arrival

Thanks guys, I guess that answered my question but guess what, I have another one for C Nash or who ever can answer it. Why do you have to crank the engine every 200 miles to let it run?
Have you figered out I never pulled a toad before? but I can milk a goat. Born a farmer and still a farmer. Going to be 64 on friday, never to old to learn.
Thanks everybody,
turnip

team3360

New arrival

turnip I believe you need to start and run the tracker to move fluids thru the drive train system to lubricate the seals and bearings .With the transfer case in netural only the back half moves and I'm not sure if there is a lube pump or not. TEAM3360

RayinTampa

New arrival

Guys from what I've read that's right. Most cars today need for the fluid to be pumped thru the tanny. When the engine is not running the fluid is not pumped thru. Even thought the transmission is not engaged (to the engine) it is still connected to the rear wheel and the gears inside are turning when you pull the car. This in turn creates heat from friction. It is this heat that will damage the transmission and stopping to run the car every 200 miles will criculate the fluid and cool the internal parts. Thus saving you many expensive repairs. Atleast I think this why you have to do it. Some of you Auto Guys out there might be better able to explain if I am mislead here.
Ray

ARCHER

New arrival

In my other life when we owned a Honda Accord, my dealer told me I could pull it four down (automatic transmission in Neutral), but I would need to stop about every two hundred miles or so and start the engine and let it run for just a few minutes to CIRCULATE the transmission fluid for lube purposes. Previous posts are exactly right as to reason for running the engine. Guess I am lazy so I opted for a tow dolly and put the front tires up on the dolly, put it in park and away I went. Having a dolly is a little bit of a pain, regarding storing it while at the camp site, but so far the places I stop at are mostly pull throughs and I don't even need to unhook (for a night or two) and when I get to final destination, I just unload the car (now a Mitsubishi), slide the dolly tongue under rear of MH and all is fine. Good luck.... :) :laugh: :cool: ;)

ARCHER

New arrival

Ray, if I sleep too much, I miss a whole lot of good stuff going on. I go to bed around 9-10 pm, up at 12:30, back to bed at 1:00am, up around 3:00am, back to bed around 4:00am, up at 6:00am, and nap from 1 to 3 pm. Guess I am a little weird. I have breathing problems so get up to clear out lungs a little is the real reason I get up. Still kicking and having fun in this life. ;)

mikebough

New arrival

I have a 2003 dakota. In order to tow you just turn key 2 notches,put on foot brake, put in nuetral,and then you need a pencil or toothpick to push in hole by gear selector.When light turns red you put foot on brake,put in park,turn key one notch to unlock steering wheel and you drive it in park.Sounds weird but thats the way it is.

Mike