New Federal Law???

onthecoach

HI!

We met some people over the weekend who are from CT. They told us there is a new Federal Law that will go into effect in 2009. They told us this law REQUIRES ALL FULL-TIMERS to have a permanent PHYSICAL ADDRESS.

Has anyone heard about this?

I have not seen anything about this in FMCA or Good Sam or AARP or any of the Forums.

Currently we use our South Dakota mailing address as our permanent address and hope to continue...we are not in a position to purchase a home now, and why do we want to pay rent on a place we will never live?

What have you heard???

DL Rupper

Re: New Federal Law???

I have heard about this. It's called the Real ID Act of 2005, effective 2010. It concerns having a real address to get a Drivers license. They require a "person's address of legal residence" to get a new driver's license. The RV Owners Advisory Council (RVOAC) is concerned how each State will implement this act and submitted comments (Sue Bray, Good Sam Club) on behalf of full-time RV'ers. It's a wait and see situation now. The purpose of the Act is in response to terrorism and the need to have uniform requirements from all States. Some States have opted out; however, they will probably be coerced into rethinking their opt out. :(

TexasClodhopper

A "physical address" doesn't mean you have to have a "house".

And what full-timer doesn't get mail somewhere anyway?

Lynn, not that you are getting this way, but I hope this doesn't become another one of those hysterical rumors that just keeps growing and growing in the RV forum world!

Browzin

Many states have already implemented this law. Nevada for one. All they wanted was a birthcertificate or other record such as baptism, military ID, DD214, any thing to prove who you are and a mailing address with a copy bill of some type showing that you really do get your mail there. Now how other states will handle implementing this law will vary. Here is a link to author of the law an more info about it http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:h.r.00418:

Kirk

Actually, that law has been around for several years and so far more than twenty states have announced that they will not be adopting it. The Congress is just going to have to change it if they hope to get states to cooperate. Escapees RV Club has lead the fight against this foolishness and are keeping on top of it. You can read a very long thread about that stuff by visiting the link below.

http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/613609661/m/5881030252

TexasLily

Just in case anyone is interested.... Here in Texas, we do not have to pay any state, county, city, etc. taxes on income. This is WONDERFUL! I hope to always maintain a "permanent" address here, due to that fact alone. Just think - you can buy a 50 foot lot out in some hard-scrabble place in the middle of nowhere near a country post office, and have all of your mail forwarded.... Right? :)

Just a thought! Lily

Kirk

Lilly,

Why bother to buy property that you don't want? Just join the Escapees RV club and you can have a street address on Rainbow Drive, Livingston, TX and they forward your mail wherever you happen to be!

daytona7

Onthecoach. With you being in NJ, you would expect things to change faster than a speeding bullet thanks to the new governor trying to find ways to pay off the interest on the loans and pension dipping's a former governor did while she was in office.
Texaslily,
Florida does not have a state tax on your income either. That was one of the major reasons those 'Old' people retired down here besides the warmer winters. What is the state, county and or city vehicle registration, use or sales tax and what items are NOT taxed? This also helps determine where someone will use as their 'home' address.

H2H1

RE: New Federal Law???

Hi everyone, I got my AARP today and they have a great piece on fultimers and their mailing address. This couple retired in 2000 and started full timing. they had a commercial mail forwarding service for there mail. this couple address is in Tenn. It seem the state has purge them from the voting rolls. Now this couple has a Tenn driver license and their RV is registered in that state. It seem the ACLU is suing for several couple as they believe their right have beenviolated. what your thought about this?

H2H1

ok Tex I got your feeling and thought. any others got an opinion.
Tex I don't care for the ACLU. I think they have violated my right by some of their suits. And I am a big fan of them. and just passing along what I thought was some good advice for the Fultimers out there.

Kirk

Me and AARP parted ways over the way that they tricked my parents into buying un-needed insurance after they were both in their mid 80's. Long term care that cost them more than $200/month and which would pay almost nothing since they were too old to qualify for much. I think the limit of payout was bout $150/month for their care. When my mother had to go to a home the cost there was $110/day.

DL Rupper

I think if the ACLU is involved, all full-timers USA wide will end up getting screwed somehow. The States will all pass laws and roll up the welcome mat.

H2H1

OK THERE WAS word left out. I am NOT a fan of the ACLU. however I am a member of AARP only for the discounts that I get at some places I go to. Also they are working on a bill that will save me about 35/40 % of my SS. Since I am retired from the government they will take back that % amount when I am old enough to draw SS. So I will be a member of AARP until they get that bill passed. Sorry if this offended anyone never meant for that to happen.

TexasClodhopper

Not saying anything about you, Hollis. Don't take it that way. I guess I jump at the chance (too fast sometimes because you weren't even talking about AARP or ACLU) to rag on both those groups.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. :blackeye: