New fifth wheel

uphillracer

My wife and I have decided on the fifth wheel lifestyle for 2-5 years. I have my focus down to: Americana, Carriage, Jayco, and Excel. All in the 32' - 35' range. Can you all fill me in on your experiences full timing in those brands? Would anyone strongly suggest I check out another brand? We intend to go EVERYWHERE - mountains, deserts, all of it. We are active - run, ski and scuba dive and will go into Canada too. We will also have our two dogs, an I.G. and a Whippet.
Thank you all.

C Nash

Re: New fifth wheel

Welcome to the forum Henry. I would also ck into the Sunnybrook line. Might pay you to email Ken at GTS. What will you be using for a tow vehicle?

uphillracer

I will buy the optimal truck to tow the 5'er I select. When I ask I am frequently told a duramax/allison.
Thanks for the Sunnybrook idea. I had considered them but I thought they went BK and have now come back. I was looking at the Bristol Bay model.
Thanks. HS

H2H1

go with the Sunnybrook and you can't go wrong. The Chevy duramax/allison is a great truck, and I am a chevy lover, but I would buy a Dodge 2500 with a cummin diesel, but that just MY OPINION :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

NO, SunnyBrook did not go under...they stayed strong thru the worst of it. I can get you the Bristol Bay, or anything they make.....

Actually the Bristol Bay is now called the SunnyBrook, Bristol Bay Edition. Anyone with a Bristol Bay on their lot has an older unit. Built the same....just a different name.

DL Rupper

Hey check out the Dodge Cummins. They have the best emission control solution for the latest government regulations. We had 2 Dodge Cummins during our 14 year full-timing odyssey and loved them. :cool:

C Nash

We have had rvs with the 30 and 50 amp. If I had a choice it would be 50 amps. Depends on the type rv you buy JMO.

raskal

RE: New fifth wheel

I'm familiar with Ken and Grandview in Bedford, Virginia as he has helped me many times in the past with RV related issues though I am unfamiliar with the SunnyBrook line of 5th Wheels.

We are however, the happy owners of a Carriage Cameo, (35+') 5er, which we have been full-timing in, and cris-crossing the Country in for a little over 3 years. Bought it new in Maryland and have lived, comfortably in desert weather 114 degrees at highest to a low of 17 degrees in South Dakota with no issues. Well, there were the original equipment tires which we replaced (with a full payment from Carriage) after only a few months on the road ... but that has been about it!

It's a good size for full-timing though we are thinking of getting a park model or parking the Carriage for the winter in the South and purchasing a Class C for travel during the remainder of the year.