New Full-Timers

agravegal

With the children all moved out, and four potential moves in the next 24 months, (Gotta love the military!) we decided to look into RV living. Things worked out much faster than we imagined, so now we are living in ignorant bliss in our new 5th wheel. So far, all is well except for my cold toes in this current cold snap.

In the interest of my cold toes, I have been reading extensively regarding heating and have come to the conclusion that my camper heater, while inefficient, seems to be the best for heating. Since the heater is on the bedroom side of our "roller house" the heat is stifling in the bedroom, especially at night. Also, barely any warm air at all blows out of the vents in the living room. Because of this, when it gets really cold, I close off the doors between the living room and kitchen but miss being able to pile up on the couch or recliner. Any suggestions other than my new overworked electric heater?

I am methodically making my way through every thread, even the ones that might not apply to our situation, because you never know where someone might drop a morsel of experience. Thanks for all your posts thus far. This site has been an education and given a few more days with the laptop I shall no longer be living blissfully ignorant - just a little chilly. :laugh:

Betty Lynn
Soli Deo Gloria

USMC

RE: New Full-Timers

Think about buying a couple electric blankets they sure come in handy. Later Jim :)

Rocketrn

Re: New Full-Timers

I personally have two small electric heaters, one for the living area and one for the bedroom. My furnace would do a great job, but I hate having to run out for propane. I keep the thermostate set at 65 at night, so if the electric heaters can't keep up, I won't get too cold.

I put in a little splitter outside, so that I can have a small 17lb tank running most of the time. Then when that empties, I switch the rig tank back on while I run out for propane. Have you tried covering the vent in the bedroom part way? Maybe that will force more air into the livingroom.

Oh, also I have found that an electric mattress pad is a beautiful thing. With the bed being over the slide out, the cold comes right through the floor, this way the bed stays nice and toasty. Plus the one I have comes with two different controls, so you can each have a different setting. Oh, and slippers, slippers are a beautiful thing. *lol*

I hope that helps.

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Betty. Think you will find that the electric heaters will solve you problem. Electric blankets will also work but I don't like the heat when sleeping.

H2H1

well I like both, we have used the electric heaters last year when our system went out. We never go anywhere with out them. We don't used the blankets in the MH, but I do have one on my bed, which I love :laugh:

Triple E

Tell your hubby we are all proud of him. He is a great American. ;) :cool:

:8ball:

agravegal

Okay, another question. We have gotta do something to make our place more cozy. I have researched ventless heaters and decided those are not an option in the "roller house." We have been looking at vented heaters, and have picked one that we like. Now, before we make any type of purchase and installation measures, I was wondering if anyone here had installed a vented heater in your micro-home. We are planning on putting it in the back of our fifth wheel - the living room area - so are there any comments, suggestions on placement? Thanks ahead of time.

C Nash

I would be carefull with a gas heater in the rv Betty. Probably will need to open a window to let some fresh air in. JMO as I am afraid of gas. Still think you could heat with a good electric heater. Even the one that looks like a real fire works good. We heat a room here with one and take it with us in the MH. Workes great

H2H1

I think it is the AMISH people who build them Nash and they do work great. My friend and local RV tech has one in his 5er and they never use the propane heater in the 5er.,,,, good luck Betty but be careful :laugh:

agravegal

With a vented heater, the fumes and water vapor are released into the outside air - BUT - we would have to cut a 2 inch or 3.5 inch hole in the side of the RV in order to vent it through. Just wondering if anyone else had done that. There is an electric fireplace in the roller house already, and it is about worthless when it comes to heating. Everytime I look at it, I have visions of a built in bookcase instead of glowing plastic - of course that is waaay down on the hubby's honey do list.

C Nash

But the heater will burn the oxgen or whatever inside and it has to be replaced. Rvs are built pretty tight is the reason I think you will need and opening for airinside. Talk with your local gas company and I think they will advise against it even though they would like to sell you one. Just remember this is JMO and based on nothing other than old age :laugh:

Triple E

Some of these new gas heater's have an inner tube in the exhaust pipe. Meaning that the inner tube expels the gas and the outer tube draws in fresh air. The furnace air is being sucked in from the out side while being preheated by the exhaust air. However this is costly. Not to mention the cost of cutting a hole in the side or top of your Rv for this pipe. Also with this system you will get a lot of condensate from the furnace and you will need to trap this so how. This condensate has a low pH and will eat up a brass pipe. I have a system some what like you are talking about for heating my home. The exhaust pipe cost me $50.00 a linear foot. I agree with Hollis and Nash. There are very good space heater that will work just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper. JMHO. ;)

agravegal

Okay, going to pass on the heater - it helps that it is finally warming up! ;) If we end up stationed in NC for a year, you may hear me shivering again. :laugh: LOL :laugh:

Cruzincat

There is a thread here somewhere regarding skirting the 5th wheeler, but that was someone from the frigid North. Something along that line would probably save you some money as well, if you don't spend too much on materials.

LoneFox

RE: New Full-Timers

Total newbie, here. But after reading your posts, I was just wondering if the newer models came with heated floors! There isn't much floor space, and I have heard it doesn't cost much to put heated flooring in a bathroom, so how much could it be to put that heating element throughout your RV? I know it would be royal PITA, but just a thought.

I do not currently live in an RV, but it is certainly pending. I would much rather go that route than to move into an apartment where the neighbors are not my style, and where I'm stuck in one place. I'm about to lose my home and I'm shopping for my next home, but having trouble deciding.

Anyway, does anyone have an RV with heated flooring? Has anyone installed some? Seems like it would be fairly easy to accomplish.

Cheryl

Triple E

Hello Cheryl and welcome to the site. Yes there are some class A and maybe some class C that have heated floors. Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheel trailers are something that I have never experienced so cannot comment on them. What are you looking for as far as a Rv. :question: