New Full-Timers

agravegal

RE: New Full-Timers

I cannot believe how time flies. We have been in the micro-mansion for eight months and one move now.......does that make us official full timers? ;)

Have not had a problem yet that could not be resolved by the experts here on the board - especially since so many experience the same recurring issues. For example, my black water sensor has me exploring new threads while another validates my desire to wrap my hands around a CW "technician's" neck last week. :blackeye: Ignorance may be bliss (as per my first post), but it is also expensive.

Thanks for the solutions, folks! Now I am off to re-read that mind numbing surge protector thread again. With knowledge comes responsibility, so there are some electrical precautions taking place today.

webbsplace

Re: New Full-Timers

My first post. From what I'm reading and what we figured out, Full Time RVing is living in the unit 365/12/30/24/7. Am I right??
I'm wondering how many people are full time RVers? What warrenty issues they have had??

Thanks,
Ruth

try2findus

I think it would depend on what you have seen on those 10,000 miles. We have put 3,000 miles on a single 2 week vacation but it took some serious driving.

We hope you have enjoyed every single mile! :)

TexasClodhopper

We've used our heat pump to great advantage recently in cold weather. However, it won't keep you warm if it is both cold outside AND inside your MH. You will need your furnace to bring the inside temperature up before the heat pump will keep it warm. This is usually automatic with the right thermostat.

SCcamper - 11/15/2010 6:48 PM Because our fiver is eight years old and has more than 60,000 miles on it we have been doing some long needed upgrades this past year and are not done yet. Our single roof mounted AC is a 15K Carrier and has never failed us. It’s getting old and we feel it’s time to upgrade. On the newer 15K units there is a heat pump option and at very little added weight I might add. We have gone to our local RV repair shop for a demonstration and were very impressed. We will have one added next spring when we return from FL. We hope to do away with at least one of our portable electric heaters. SCcamper

Clay L

webbsplace - 7/25/2010 6:54 PM

My first post. From what I'm reading and what we figured out, Full Time RVing is living in the unit 365/12/30/24/7. Am I right??
I'm wondering how many people are full time RVers? What warrenty issues they have had??

Thanks,
Ruth

In the 2000 census there was a category called "other non-standard housing" defined as boats, recreation vehicles and other such residences which have no permanent physical address. Based upon the 2000 census that number was estimated to be 260,000 people.
How many in that category are full time RVers is unknown.
My best guess would be maybe 3/4 are. That would mean that there are about 200,000.

bookseller

This suggestion is probably not viable but rather than having the rv make you react to uncomfortable conditions just get one that does not give you those problems. For instance, the Doubletree RV has superior insulation, including on the underside of the trailer and I'm sure there are a few others. We are about ready to buy one for fulltiming and our requirements are: king bed, separate bath (I can't believe that most manufacturers think I want to sleep in my bathroom!) and good insulation. There is a consignment place in Houston (PPL) that usually has several hundred rvs on consignment. They take 10% of the selling price from the sellers. If you have the time and inclination go there and trade-up to a more comfortable trailer. They have a really good website.

Have 2 heat pumps in my Rv and at 42 deg they no longer put out heat.Also if the RV is not designed for a heat pump usually it can not be added.Something to do with the duct work.But when they work it is great.

H2H1

heat pumps works on the outside temp. once the outside temp drops below a certain degrees the heat pump will go into the electric heat strip and heat up the Rv or home. If you are a camp ground and using there power why worry about it, but if you are paying for the power bill it can get expensive. I know I have a 2 heat pumps for my house and in the winter it really get tough on the power bill

Glad I stumbled onto your blog. I'm looking to do full-time in a 5er and thought the fireplace in front of the HDTV that raises /lowers was a nice upgrade. After reading it doesn't put out the heat and is more visual I might reconsider and replace the fireplace with storage space. Will definitely make this a point I confirm for the 5er I'm considering to purchase - "does it heat or is it show".

It's important to get the right space heater that's for sure. In a couple of stick built homes I've lived in, one being a tiny studio /little house in the rear kind of thing, I've used the oil filled radiator on wheels that has thermostat control and if tipped over the safety feature kicked in and turned off. You might not want to use this type in an RV because space is so limited and it needs to be away from curtains, etc. BUT if your space would allow it I recommend this kind. Please read safety features to confirm it does turn off if tipped over, but this is the type I'm referring to http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Oil-Filled-Radiator-Heater/2403497. Otherwise I'd consider looking at the other options for portable space heaters. I kind of like the taller narrow floor models for both fan and heat to save on space (not recommending this particular one it's just to show what I'm talking about) http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=_QhATsakKojZiALJkfjMAg&ved=0CJ4BEPMCMAQ#.

I also was intrigued by the Amish space heaters so, I Googled them and found this critique http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=55607.

And ya gotta love Cuddle Duds - like silk long underware, but more reasonably priced :) .

God bless you and your husband and thanks for all you do for our country!!