'New message' indication in the new forum style

hertig

Hello, I sure do miss the 'new message' indication (different color icon) for each forum and each entry within the forum. I could tell at a glance which forums I needed to peruse, and which entries in a forum had been changed since the last time I was in there.

The new forum sure is pretty, but doesn't seem to have that feature...

C Nash

Re: 'New message' indication in the new forum style

I agree with John and the blue writing is also harder for me to read.

ARCHER

I agree with both posts above. I liked the "active topics" section, which made it a lot easier to see the new stuff.

Shadow

Archer, Chelse, John. Are you having to use your side to side scroll bar to read the post?
Or is it my screen? :)

C Nash

Shadow, not having to use side to side scroll here. Finding it easier to read this morning. Guess it was just tired eyes last night.

Old Forum Post

Archer,

There is a link up top called "New Threads" - this has the same functionality as the "Active Topics" link in the old forum.

As for the other comments, we will log them all and try to resolve as many as possible.

Thanks!
Lee
RVUSA.com

Old Forum Post

OK - we've made a few more adjustments.

- All text except for links should appear in black text. Let us know if that helps in reading.
- We've added a new forum/post indicator. On the right of either the main forum page or a sub-forum page, there is typically a white icon (
nav-messages.gif
). If a new post or topic has been made, it will turn to red (
nav-messages-new.gif
) to alert you.

Let us know how these changes work. :)

Thanks!

Lee
RVUSA.com

hertig

The forum/post indicator is not quite as good as the system used in the old forum, but it is usable. Thanks much.

Shadow, yes the new forum is a bit wider than my screen. I can usually scroll to the right and then see everything in the posts, or expand the session to full screen which seems to eliminate the problem entirely.

ARCHER

Webmaster, I finally found the icon to go to new threads and it works just fine, like the old active topics. tks BTW, what happened to the smiley faces, etc.??
Shadow, I don't need to scroll sideways to read the posts. I'm using a HP laptop and Systemax desktop to access both with XP software operating system.

Shadow

Thanks guys, but still struggling over here. I can't keep the person posting and the post in full view simultaneously without scrolling side to side. I have to do it every post and topic. Are ya'll getting all the advertising on the left side of the screen while reading the posts? Agree with you John about the post indicator -

Archer. never found the emoticons till I went to edit my post :)

ARCHER

Shadow, I found the emoticons when I did a "reply".
If your mouse has the scroll wheel on it, try holding down the ctrl key on left bottom of keyboard and rotate the wheel and see if it will make it a little smaller to view all. If that doesn't work, you may have the resoution set a little high or large..not an expert on this but a couple of suggestions

Shadow

Thanks Archer, I'll have Shirley give it a shot in the morning.

deniloo

I too am having to scroll side to side to read entire message. I have a large monitor and usually don't have a problem. Also when replying to this message there are not any emoticons in the reply directly under the last message.

Shadow

Pretty annoying isn't it? :angry: Like Archer said you have to use the reply at the top right of your post to get the emoticons. Oh well off to La. to win me a chopper from OCC.

TexasClodhopper

The scrolling side-to-side means that your screen resolution is set too low for the forum page width. Get around it in Windows by right clicking on your desktop, clicking on the Settings tab, and changing (increasing) your screen resolution until you see the full forum width. Keep in mind that as you do that, your text size will look smaller and smaller. Pretty soon you'll have to read your screen with binoculars!

Old Forum Post

FYI - we've added the emoticons back to the quick relpy area. :) :cool: :laugh:

Hope this adds back to your forum enjoyment.

Lee
RVUSA.com

ARCHER

Yes, it does. And thanks so much for the new forum formats, etc. The more I use them, the more I like it. ;)

hertig

Yikes, what happened to the automatic signature? A checkbox for it appears in Edit mode, but can't find it in 'new reply' mode.

Old Forum Post

Hertig,

If you are logged in, in the upper right corner of the page click on 'Control Panel'. On the left hand column half way down, make sure the line entitled "Use Your Signature" is marked as yes and you have a signature filled in. Click 'Submit' at the bottom. Now whenever you reply or post and are logged in, the 'Include Signature' box will be checked by default.

Hope this helps.

Lee
RVUSA.com

hertig

Ok, did that, we'll see if this has the signature.

Thanks