new Park

Pirates Cove

We have just bought an Older RV Park..(lots of updating here)
Was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to help us out to get people to visit.We are really close to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge (Whooping Cranes).
We already have full hook-ups and Cabins to rent by the night.Also we are doing some landscaping which was badly needed.
Thanks a bunch for any help anyone can offer......
Flow

ARCHER

Re: new Park

Welcome,
I would suggest the following:
1 Nice bath house with plenty of hot water, and clean and toliet paper always in it.
2. Cable tv hook-up and telephone lines also
3. Trash dumpsters but not on top of sites.
4. No fish cleaning or putting fish in dumpsters.
5. Quiet time after 10 pm
6. Level sites (a must)
7. If possible, laundry facility
8. Good Sam or other club affiliation
9. Don't let it turn into a "trailer park" or make sure the trailers are in a completely different area than RV sites
10. Develope brochure with 800 number, local site info, etc. (we have been to the nature preserve and it is wonderful).
Just a few thoughts......Good Luck ;) :) :cool: :laugh:

DL Rupper

I would elaborate on Archers #9 comment. Make that Don't let it turn into a long term Rv Park for local low rent residents. :dead:
On number #8. I would suggest "Passport" as an addition to Good Sams as a membership affiliation. They are a 50% discount membership club and are a good way to get RV'ers to try your park.

lars

Hey my wife and I will be down there sometime in January. As long as washrooms/showers are clean we wil give your park a try. We like to move around a bit and see different places. Where abouts are you, do you have full service and as an old frien of mine says "how much costing"?

TexasClodhopper

I ran into a park in Alabama that was just perfect for my Class C. I don't know if they intentionally did this, but it worked for me. A Class C chassis is naturally low to the front unless you really have it loaded. This park's pad was level until about 20 feet away from the hookups. The pad then had a slight slope upwards. It was perfect for me without auto levelers, because all I had to do was drive forward until my MH floor was level!

And a clearly marked area for animals to do their duty! And enforcement (yes, animal police!) I have my own dog, and I don't like steppin' in it! Especially when I'm out walking in the roadway at night.

Speaking of walking, you need roads that allow us to walk without turning an ankle. Walking around is how we keep our parts moving, and how we socialize.

Security lights, but not so bright that you can't get the inside of your MH dark to sleep.

In your area, if you want people outside of their MHs, you'll have to find a way (besides winter) to keep those pesky mosquitos away!

Running water is always a comforting place to sit or stand. We stayed at a place in Fredericksburg with a large waterfall and a small pond. It was manmade, but effective.

Nightly entertainment is good. It doesn't have to be professional style, but at least a singer should be on key! Twice a week game of "I got it!" (this looks just like Bingo, but it isn't! ;) )

One place we stopped, we just barely mentioned that our space didn't have a picnic table nearby. We didn't really even need one, but within 30 minutes here comes a golf cart with a table on the back! That's the kind of service and commitment that you can't list on a sheet of paper. You just have to do it. You just can't be RV babysitters.

Your RV park has to be as close to a 4-star hotel as you can get it! :laugh:

Kirk

If I read the post correctly, the issue is not what to do to make the park attractive, but how to attract customers? As I remember, Austwell is well off of any major route and about the only place that draws people to pass through the town is the NWR or the fishing. They are much too far from highway 35 to be seen as traffic goes by. If you can, it would probably help to have a large, attractive sign on 35. If memory serves, that park was pretty run-down looking when I was there a couple of years ago but your site would make it seem to be getting much better. I do think that you would be wise to get listed in the Passport America directory, since the 1/2 price customers will travel more to find you than will those who just pass by. And they do allow you to limit the number of nights the 1/2 discount is usable. That might go a long way to attracting new customers. About the only other thing that I can think of would be to advertise in some of the RV publications. Gypsy Journal comes to mind as one that reaches a large number of RV travelers and which is probably reasonable in cost. It is an on-line publication that is published by a couple who are fulltimers. There are probably others, but they will cost a fair amount.

TexasClodhopper

Kirk, I see your point, but if you can't hold them, there's no use wasting money attracting them with big signs. We've all been disappointed by flashy entrance gates, now haven't we? :laugh:

PS. It is going to be difficult to turn a fishing camp into a full-fledged entertaining RV park. Reminds me of our last trip without our MH. We went into Arkansas looking for a spot on the lake. Every single fishing cabin/camp park was called a 'RESORT' in the advertising. Most of those resorts were just a bunch of one room cabins with bunk beds for fisherpeople to sleep in when they weren't fishing!

Pirates Cove

We have clean showers and we are in the process of updating a bigger cabin and redoing our laundry room.
Our rates are 15.00 and 20.00 a night. 325.00 a month and 400. a month.
As we are just starting out we have a lot to learn and we will be joining all kinds of clubs so you can get discounts.
our web page address is
www.piratescoverv.com
Thanks so much for the tips. I managed a motel for 8 years and this is SO different.

Pirates Cove

I woild like to thank everyone for you input... and if you think of anything else just let me know....
Happy Holidays to all....
Flow

snapfish

Heads up….
Here is my take on your website.
I poked around your web site to see what you have to offer to someone who is unfamiliar or never been to your area before. I found that your website does not offer anything more than general information about your CG, and your area.
i think you need to advertise your CG more than the area (i.e. how many pull through sites, how many 50amps, and 30amps sites. Is tent camping allowed etc..etc.)
I can tell that this website is designed and possibly hosted for free. That is fine as long as you do not have too much traffic to your website. However, once you get more than a thousand hits a month on your website, you will end up paying a hefty premium charges (lots of money). Otherwise, the hosting / web design company will take your domain hostage if you do not pay.
My advice to you, start now by building/ designing your website and hosting your domain somewhere affordable (seanci.net or godaddy.com)
Moreover, I think you would need to have a convenience store with at least the most essentials that RV’ers need.
Later on, maybe get a WI-FI installed.
Good luck

C Nash

Offering special monthly rates might help if you don't already. I didn't see a month rate on your webpage. Pictures would also help. listing temperatures would also be nice. Is the climate good for wintering? Pet frindely is ok but, don't like them marking my site or vacent water connections (yes have seen this and really showed myself) offered to go wet on theirs :laugh: :angry: good luck and maybe we will make it that way sometimes.

s.harrington

Getting listed in either woodalls or Trailer Life is a good start but if you can get a good recomendation from one of our members who may happen to stop by it would also help. So why don't one of you guys down that way go check it out and let us know???? I won't be down that way for at least 4 years.

snapfish

snapfish - 12/15/2006 4:15 PM

Heads up….
Here is my take on your website.
I poked around your web site to see what you have to offer to someone who is unfamiliar or never been to your area before. I found that your website does not offer anything more than general information about your CG, and your area.
i think you need to advertise your CG more than the area (i.e. how many pull through sites, how many 50amps, and 30amps sites. Is tent camping allowed etc..etc.)
I can tell that this website is designed and possibly hosted for free. That is fine as long as you do not have too much traffic to your website. However, once you get more than a thousand hits a month on your website, you will end up paying a hefty premium charges (lots of money). Otherwise, the hosting / web design company will take your domain hostage if you do not pay.
My advice to you, start now by building/ designing your website and hosting your domain somewhere affordable (seanic.net or godaddy.com)
Moreover, I think you would need to have a convenience store with at least the most essentials that RV’ers need.
Later on, maybe get a WI-FI installed.
Good luck

hamiltonrandy

One thing to remember is you are in a fishing and outdoor area, so your bread and butter will be that, so accommodate to them without detracting normal RVers. Have fish cleaning station somewhere, you cannot totally take away that or you eliminated alot of people already. I also realize a lot of RVers are older and they LOVE rules, but try to have reasonable rules without signs posted everywhere "Dont do this, dont do that, etc etc..." it makes a place feel unwelcome. Have a free wifi, it is cheap and will make up for itself in no time. Keeps the roads smooth, no potholes. Motorhomes do not need to bounce around and noone needs to turn ankles walking around. Cater to dog lovers, I would say 50% of RVers have a dog, create a great looking website! Even if the photos look better than your park is in real life just get people there and make it friendly, clean and you will not lose those customers you get. Friendliness and convenience can go a LONGGGGG way and can make up for alot of flaws.