NEW RV DILEMMA

JimE

Guys I need some experienced advice. 4 years ago my wife and I decided to test the waters and we purchased a 1993 Winnebago Brave with the Chevy 454. Well we are hooked now and looking to upgrade to a larger and newer unit. I have found several gas model and several diesel models that I like but I am undecided which one would be the most economical to run. Towing my Saturn VUE behind the gas model was a struggle on hills which has me leaning towards a diesel, but the price of diesel is scaring me. When I tow I get around 6 MPG with the Winnebago. I guess my question is, would my fuel economy improve running a diesel to the point where it would be as economical or more economical than a gas model?

DL Rupper

Re: NEW RV DILEMMA

Hey Jim, probably not unless you put lots of miles on your Motorhome. I used to say get the diesel. Not any more. Diesel is almost $1.00/gal more. Do the math. The diesel in a Motorhome is at least $30,000 more. Then add the cost of diesel fuel. You would have to drive at least 300,000 or 400,000 miles to see any gain from increased mileage. I have been full-timing 13 years and have only put 90,000 miles on my 5th wheel. The miles are going on your toad or in my case my tow vehicle.

The only way a diesel motorhome make any sense right now is if you get a deal you can't refuse. Just my opinion. ;)

G

I have to agree with DL ,, in this day and age ,, yes u'r better with a gas unit ,, but it's up to u ,, as DL said u need to really travel alot to make the diesel pay for it self ,, in fuel and the price of the coach ,,, i'm not knocking DP's cause i own one my self ,, but it was bought back when diesel was the way to go ,, and cheaper than gas ,,, but it's up to u on u'r decision ,,, and as DL said JMO ;) :) :)
But agian if can get a real good deal on one ,, then buy it ,, but beware cause the maket right now is trying anything to get people to buy ,, that's because they know that this maybe the end of the new rv industrie ,, due to all the expense ,, fuel ,, maint and even CG 's upping thier prices to cope with everything else :eek: :angry: :approve:

LEN

I'll take the other side. Just had my DP for a short time but went that route rather than gas. PULLING POWER --I am towing and want to go up the hills not slow on them. I got a nice 2000 HR with 330 HP, I looked at much newer almost new gas rigs same price and they just seemed and were not as sturdy. As to mileage towing gas 6mpg diesel 8mpg, 25% this is a break even on fuel. Also the DP's were on the whole much better equipted.

But to each his own it's your $$$$

LEN

G

I agree ,, Len My Alegro bus has plenty of power for a 40fter and also after about 10,000 worth of mods to the engine ,, but mine is paid for,, so all i have to think about is fuel and a place to stay ,, and my DP get's around 11 mpg ,, but if u have to finance one now and pay for fuel and campsights ,,, i think one should way the options ,, don't get me wrong ,, i'm not in anyway putting u down for u post ,, just making some options (as U ) open to a posible new class A owner ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :cool: :cool: :) :)

G

I agree ,, Len My Alegro bus has plenty of power for a 40fter and also after about 10,000 worth of mods to the engine ,, but mine is paid for,, so all i have to think about is fuel and a place to stay ,, and my DP get's around 11 mpg ,, but if u have to finance one now and pay for fuel and campsights ,,, i think one should way the options ,, don't get me wrong ,, i'm not in anyway putting u down for u post ,, just making some options (as U ) open to a posible new class A owner ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :cool: :cool: :) :)

G

sorry for the double post hit the wrong button :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove: :laugh:

DL Rupper

Hey Rod, are you sure you just didn't forget you already posted and re-posted? :evil: :bleh:

G

i know DL ,, i'm getting a case of old timers ,, and the fingers like to hit stuff as they feel the need :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
oops better not say that ,, it might get some ill responses ,, to claify ,, the fingers like to it stuff on the keyboard as they feel the need ,, there ,, feel better now :blush: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JimE

RE: NEW RV DILEMMA

Thanks for all of the feedback and the humor. Time to hit the lots again and see whats out there. I can say that everyone seems to be offering some deep discounts at the moment which I assume is related to the economy and the steep price of fuel. I just postponed a trip from Texas to Maine in June so I should save enough from avoided fuel costs for the down payment .

G

elkhart ,, u better re-read the post ,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JimE

RE: NEW RV DILEMMA

If anyone wants to know how the story ended, my wife and I purchased a 2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3500 this past weekend. It is a gas model Ford Triton. We pick it up this Saturday and we can hardly wait to hit the road!!! Thanks for all of the advice.

H2H1

Jim, congrat on your RV. I have a 2003 Fleetwood with a 454 Chevy engine. I went and had a Banks power kit installed and now it's not slow going up hills or pulling the Honda. It added 90 hp. this installation include a SUPER CHIP. I don't know how it but I get better mileage out of a tank of gas. best of luck on your trips.

JimE

Can I ask approximately what that cost? I would be interested in doing the same.