new rv'r here need some tips

turnipbwc

I would NEVER pull a 20 foot trailer behind a 31 foot RV. You are asking for trouble if you do.
turnip42

jkill2001

i need this to work out thats the only reason i bought the rv. if this won't work out im screwed big time

Poppa

Do I hear a little discouragment in you voice. Well don't be. You have a lot of good information handed to you on the GVW and tow capacities.

Make sure the trailer has a good breaking system, which is very important.

As to towing a trailer that is just about as long as your RV, you can with experience because we have towed a dragster trainer that was almost 2 times as long as the short wheel base truck we were towing it with.

As to tonque weight if it becomes a problem you can load it somewhat heavy on the back of the trailer which will unload the the front.
In the past to compensate for this hauling certian vehicles, we would load them backwards as with most vehicles are 20 to 25% heavier in the front, of course it takes a little practice to back a vehicle into a closer trailer< but you can bolt a couple 4x4's down about 3 inches wider than your tires and when you are backing if you get out of align you will know it.

C Nash

Hi jkill2001,
Just curious as to why you are pulling the S10 in the enclosed trailer. Race truck, show truck?
Be sure and check the mh frame area might not be strong enough for heavier hitch. I would think that the 3500 was installed because this is all the MH was designed to handle safetly. Keep us posted. Going to be hard on the transmission also. Might want to go to a larger cooler if it even has one.

jkill2001

c nash yes it is a show truck. i've got almost 30 grand invested in this truck and don't want it ruined. the trailer does have a very good electric brake system they were just checked 3 weeks ago. yes the mh only does have a 3500lb hitch but i will have to ask my local rv guy about the bigger hitch. i do also believe the rv does have a steering stabilizer cause right now when semi's pass me there isn't barely any sway.

C Nash

30 grand WOW, Even more reason to be sure the tow set up will work jkill. Not suprised on the cost though We probably got that much in a 76 chevette drag car. how far will you normally be towing? I know some travel log distances to different shows. post or e-mail me a picture and where do you show?

turnipbwc

jkill,
Sharp truck, reminds me of the S-10 I used to own. It was a 2001. What is the year of your show truck ? Thanks for sharing the picture.
turnip42

jkill2001

that truck is a 1994 s-10 but i changed the front end to make it a 98-04 nose,core support,headlights. thanks for the compliment took about 8 months to get the way it sits in that photo and i've done numerous more things to it from the time it was out of the shop

ARCHER

Wow....neat truck. I'm a Dodge Ram man, but had an S-10 at one time. Where are you going to be in Florida for the show? I'm here for winter. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.. :)

C Nash

jkill, you are going to need a larger trailer than you now have. Yours will not be big enough to haul all the trophies you will win :) . Great looking truck :approve:

jkill2001

thanks for the comment. best part was right after this truck came out of the paint booth 3 weeks later i took best paint and top 25 in a show. i was very surprised.

jkill2001

ok another question for all u people this one is easy and kinda dumb? i can't find a freakin replacement bulb for my interior lights in the rv its a 1076 bulb with double contacts and those locking little things on the sides are directly across from one another anyone know where i can buy this at?

Poppa

NAPA Auto Parts, Auto zone will probably give a DUHH look. actually if I am not mistaken the number has been changed to save the innocent?\ :laugh:

jkill2001

actually i just picked up the bulbs today at the rv dealer i work at i forgot they had a parts department and they sell these things daily. lol cost me 4 bucks for a 10 pack not bad.