New Tires

BarneyB

Does anyone know who has the best deal going on RV tires? I am going to replace my 4 rear ones on my coach. I have had no problems with the tire that came on it so I want to keep the same tire, they are just 8 years old and I do not want to wait for a blow out.
Goodyear G670 245/70R 19.5

Thanks, Barney

H2H1

Re: New Tires

hello Barney, I just replaced the 6 on mine, Good Year G670, same as yours. GY was offering a rebate and I got $300 back. Go to Good Year online and see if they are still offering the rebate. But that is if you want to go back to GY.

BarneyB

elkhartjim - 9/10/2009 7:29 PM

What about the two on the front, are they also 8 years old?

No, I had to replace them about four years ago because the front end was out of align.

Thanks for the replys.
Barney

Kirk

I would just shop around for them at as many tire shops as possible. Last time we bought tires I was quite surprised to find that the lowest price was at a small shop in a rural town. He had to order the tires, which took two or three days, but it was well worth the wait and I thus knew that the tires would be new. I run the exact same tire as you, but mine are only at four years old.

Speaking of the age of a new tire when installed, make sure that you do check the DOT code to be sure that they don't install any which have been sitting around for several years.

Shorty

Was looking at the Goodyear G670 also...couldn't find any rebate. Am going to end up putting Coopers on the way around. Mine was caught in one recall for the late 90's chasis of a tire that wouldn't let the owner overload the front axle. When overloaded zipper tears and sidewall blow outs happened. The previous owner replaced all 6 with matching up-graded tires.
Went with the Cooper Roadmaster 120. Putting them on next week. 3 friends also run the same Coopers on other DPs; Dutch Star, American Eagle and Tradewinds. Late 90's all of them. Chasis vary, Spartan & Freighliner.
Sorry...didn't want to sound like a commercial here, but I have been looking pretty hard.
Hollis, I looked hard for the rebate...none to be found and the local Goodyear dealer is a friend of mine. But the were proud of them
Whatever tire you purchase, make sure that it can handle the total weight of each axle while giving you a little over packing room.
Front axle is usually the one to really worry about
Darn, my 2 cents turned into a quarter

H2H1

Shorty I replaced them with what was on them. the rebate was over I think in AUG. I at time think it is good not to look at the price when looking at tires on the MH. I think it is worthy of the cost to get good tires and since it came with G670 I went back with them. BYW I paid 2200.00 for 6 tires and got a 300 rebate, 50 per tire.

Shorty

Wow...I need to look into this a little more. Will let you know what I come up with. A $1700 difference is ...well, I feel silly
Thanks

Shorty

Gotcha...when you told me the price I was floored. I need 255 - 275 on 22.5...they run a little more
At least they're not the new DP sizes...295 & 305 on the Dutch Stars...but then again there's more room in the fender well for them too
Placed some 305s next to the RV, and got a kick out of wondering how much of a lift I needed to get them to fit :clown:
I pull a Wrangler with a lift and 35s...why not lift the RV to match... ;)

Shorty

Put the Coopers on today and balanced them with the beads. Took it out for a ride. 1st few miles was making me second guess...but after about 10 miles the beads found their home and it smoothed right out. Took it out on the big road and kicked in the afterburners just to see how it would handle. Still nice and smooth. however, the tread design seems to be a little noisy at higher speeds. Am going to get the shop owner to ride with me next week to check it out. Then take his out for the same test(same tires)
2 other things I noticed
Coopers sidewalls seem stronger/stiffer than the Michelin Xa1 that were sent out for the recall years ago. I realize that they were newer but...sidewall stiffness shouldn't wear out in 20k miles...what was my gauge you ask? a 300lb guy boucing on them :laugh: ,me
Also noticed that I was now about 1 inch lower... now maybe I'll miss that one branch :approve:

tims52ford

RE: New Tires

The tires on my RV, have reached there at limit, I have been doing some research on the Internet and talking to different tire salesman, Two of them told me that for the money. I should give the sumitomo tire a real close look, it is a ST718 245/75/22.5. They will cost me around 285.00 each

Shorty

After speaking to my dad( retired mechanic and trucker.) He says that on the big trucks, you just won't get the ride that Michelin gives ya
I will stay with my new Coopers if I can get them balanced. But he has said that I could try these and any other, but the best over the road tire that didn't wear out the driver was Michelin...so like I said...if these don't show me anything...I'll will be a pair of Michelin for the steer axle to try

G

If u do go with the Michelins,, get the XPS RIB tires ,, they are comercial and work great IMO ,, i ran them on the bus (what a big expense) and now also on the one now ,, i have never had a balance issue with them ,, very smooth IMO ,, but also pricy ,, i have not used any other of the Mich brands on my MH's ,, just giving an opinion
:approve: :) :)

Radman2776

Hi, I read your post about the new tires and I am looking at buying new tires. I have a vibration that I can't seem to get cleared up. We spun balanced and trued up the treads on front and the rear. The tires are about 4 years old, but my tire guy said they are not a good riding brand. He mentioned the Coopers and a couple of other brands. But I was curious about 2 things, the beads and the Cooper tires. Are you satisfied now with the coopers? What about the beads? Are these the beads that you install inside the tire to help keep them in balance? Do they work? Where did you get them and how many do you use? I have 19.5" wheels, that is all I know at this time.
Look forward to hearing your comments. I am taking my motorhome out 4 3 day trip, so I will get a good trial on my tire situation. My tires are in great shape, just have the vibration issue.
thanks,
Phillip :)

C Nash

Phillip, viberations have been a problem with the Ford chassis. Think you have the ford chassis as in your other post you mentioned V10. At what speed do you have the viberation? Really takes an experenced shop with the right equipment to properly install and balance the 19.5 on ford chassis for some reason.