New to MH camping

My wife and I just bought a 96 Itasca Suncruiser 33'. This is our first . We have not taken del. yet. Short driveway and that white stuff keep falling in NW Pa. I thank you all for the warehouse of information that I have Learned reading the forum. Allot of things I would not of packed-green hose. y adapt. Extension cord, etc.
The home has a 454 and has been checked by the del. I talked to the prior owner and learned of no problems with the unit. Is there anything that I should be watching for with this type of unit?
Again thank you all for the wisdom pass on to us newbys.

Kirk

Re: New to MH camping

The 454 has a good track record. The main thing to keep in mind with it will be the GVWR of the unit. Be sure to take it to a scale and weigh it with it set as you plan to travel with it. That is important because many of the motorhomes of that age had very little excess weight capacity and it is not a good thing to travel over loaded. When you weigh it, if you can find a location with weights of each wheel, that is the best way so that you can then balance the load as you add things to it for travel. If you can't do that, weigh it twice, weighing first the entire rig and then again with one side's wheels just off of the edge of the scale to learn what one side weighs. You can then deduct that figure from the first one to learn what the other side weighs. It is important to keep the two sides as near the same weight as possible.

C Nash

Common problem on the 454 were cracked exhaust manifolds and spark plug wires are prone to give trouble. Hot starts also gave problems on some. With proper care it should serve you well.

The unit did have a small ex manifold leak. A new manifold was put on by the dealer. With the plug wires- is it heat or other?

C Nash

Heat is the culprit on the wires. when replacing go with the best wires you can find from a performance shop. They are also easy to damage when removing them from the plug. Tend to stick. When replacing them add a dab of silicon inside the boot.

A friend made the same comment on plug wires. He has a 454 in his truck. Fresh tune up and still didn't run right. He opened the hood at nite and --sparks every where. Performance wires did the trick.
Paul Martin NW Pa.