New to RVing, any must have suggestions?

just2girls1

Hi Everyone,

We just purchased our first 5th wheel. We always tent camped before. What items are must haves before we set out for our first trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I figure this is the place to get a good idea of what I should be looking to purchase in order to make sure we have a worry free trip. Questions I have is do we really need a water pressure guage, extra electric plugs for the different campsites, etc. Many thanks. :)

Triple E

Re: New to RVing, any must have suggestions?

Hello Patti and welcome to RVUSA. The best forum on the web. I am sure you will get yourself a list. Will you be camping full time, by the week or weekends? What are you using for a tow vehicle? One important item is a portable air compressor and tire gauge. Get good toilet supplies, do not go cheap. Tell us more about your 5th wheel. :cool:

:8ball:

H2H1

Welcome to the best forum......Well Steve I was going to ask if it was new or older model. If it was USED ONE I would think the previous owners would have left a lot of things she will need. the water pressure gauge or do you mean a WATER pressure reducer valve, if that is what you meant, yes you do need one, the pressure may be to great for the water pipes to handle and bust one of the water pipes. I would think YOU HAVE a 30 amp service to your 5er, so you will need a reducer to step it down if you find yourself in an area that does not have 30 amp service but does have 20 amp. Also does it have a generator, if not you will need one if you go boon docking. you will need a good rv type water hose and a good grade sewer hose. I am sure this will get you started. We will wait and see what you come back with, and we nay be able to add more. happy camping and come on back
:laugh:

just2girls1

Thanks Triple E. I had not thought of an air compressor. We are planning a few week or so trips and I'm sure we will end up doing a few shorter ones in there also. Since this will be the first time towing it and getting used to everything we will be staying fairly close to home for now....Then who knows where we may end up. The 5th wheel is a 2010, 37' Heritage Glen with a bunk house. We have a Dodge 2500 as a tow vehicle, the hitch is being installed tomorrow. We actually have a 40' 5th wheel that sits in a campground. It's an '85 and has been in the same campground for who knows how long. Let me just say if you even thought of moving it the tree removal to get it out would be crazy. My sister-in-law knew the owners and they did not want to fool with it any longer so we bought it knowing we would never move it and just used it as a get-a-way place on the weekends. Tent camping was always fun but with the family growing that was getting a bit hard. I am looking forward to hearing from all the veteran RVers that can help the new folks like me fumble a little less along the way.

just2girls1

just2girls1 - 2/15/2010 10:50 PM

Thanks Triple E. I had not thought of an air compressor. We are planning a few week or so trips and I'm sure we will end up doing a few shorter ones in there also. Since this will be the first time towing it and getting used to everything we will be staying fairly close to home for now....Then who knows where we may end up. The 5th wheel is a 2010, 37' Heritage Glen with a bunk house. We have a Dodge 2500 as a tow vehicle, the hitch is being installed tomorrow. We actually have a 40' 5th wheel that sits in a campground. It's an '85 and has been in the same campground for who knows how long. Let me just say if you even thought of moving it the tree removal to get it out would be crazy. My sister-in-law knew the owners and they did not want to fool with it any longer so we bought it knowing we would never move it and just used it as a get-a-way place on the weekends. Tent camping was always fun but with the family growing that was getting a bit hard. I am looking forward to hearing from all the veteran RVers that can help the new folks like me fumble a little less along the way.

I should add that the '85 fifth wheel had a non working fridge, so coolers it was and the rest was a little ify at best. Everything was left there, even their personal belongings, so we did not have to put anything together. So this is actually our first one we have to get ready for the road/campsites. :)

RE: New to RVing, any must have suggestions?

Here is a list I made up for my first RV. Hope it helps.

RV ITEMS

Miscellaneous
Small wood step ladder from garage
Clothing soap
Clothing softener
Address book
Financial statements
Tape to hold things on wall
Notebook
Calculator
Pens
Paper
Electric vacuum
Iron
Broom
Small brush and dustpan
Mop
Closet lining
Hangers
Small hamper
Umbrella
Walking stick
Flashlight
Scissors
Insect repellent
Insect spray

Bathroom
Biogradable toilet paper
Chemicals for holding tank
Bar soap
Air refresher
Hair shampoo
Squeegee for shower
Shower cleaner
Deodorant
Hair dryer
2 toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Pat, Tom Dental adhesives
Dental holders
After shave lotions
Electric razor
Razor for Pat
Shaving cream
Bath towels
Face clothes

Bedroom
Sheets
2 pillows
2 pillow cases
Bedding
2, 3 throw pillows
Under garments for Tom, Pat
Socks for Tom, Pat
Winter coats (from home closet)

Dining Room
Wall clock
Alarm clock
3 small picture frames
3 large picture frames

Driving needs
Atlas
Maps
GPS
Toll unit
Electronics rechargers (from Impala)
Tools
Tire gauge
Car brush
Old newspapers
Old towels
Window cleaner
Bug remover

Dog
2 Dishes
Bottles of water
Food
Biscuits
Toys

Kitchen
Paper towels
Paper towel holder
Trash can
Plastic bags
Dish towels
Diswasher soap
Measuring spoons
Coffee cups
Dishes
Silverware
Knives
Steak knives
Can opener
Salt
Pepper
Spices
Dish cloths
Toaster
Crock pot
Electric grill
Drinking glasses
Pots and pans
Coffee pot
Pressure cooker
Utensils
Plastic containers
Ice cube tray

Outside
Two lawn chairs
Outside fabric rug

Poppa

Hey I am ole and grey and kinda wrinkled like some of these other guys who won't admit it. Lifes experiences are the best teachers.
1) Whenever you put your awning out ALWAYS have one end about a foot to a foot and a half lower than the other. Should a shower come up with it level it will ruin an awning. It makes a horrible noise in the middle of the night when its rainging and come crashing down. 2) make you a little check off list for when you set up. Elec connected, water connected, jacks oue etc. When you break camp, take the same list and run it backwards scratching off what all you hooked up. Camp ground maintenance folks get a little perterbed when you drive off with a water hose hooked up or an electric line. One gets things really wet and the other puts on a good fireworks show. I have done both. 3) Keep you a good pair of rubber gloves in a tupper wear container along with a spray bottle of chlorox diluted water about 10 to one. Make a good sanitizer when you are connecting and disconnecting that stanky hose. 4) A pair of those little walkie talkies cost about 40 bucks but they are great when you are trying to back into a spot. Its a lot safer and easier to under stand voice rather than hand signals also at night when its dark or your partner is playing hiding go seak behind the trailer. Just some tid bits.