New to the forum.

simsy56

Hi all!,
l would just like to introduce myself, new to the forum.
l am Craig, a retired prison guard, and l own a 2003 Itasca Sunrise Chevy 6.5 diesel. l love it, and so do all the family. We get out as often as possible, but little over the last 3 months, due to family circumstances.
We live on a small Island called the Isle of Man, between Ireland and England, and live a peaceful existance.
We are a 4 hour ferry journey to Liverpool, England and from there we can travel to Europe no problem.
We have been to the States a few times, mainly to New England where we have friends, and it looks like we are coming over to Long Island this July for a wedding.

That's me in a nutshell.

Craig

Grandview Trailer Sa

Craig, welcome to our humble forum. If you ever get over here, and head south, I am in Virginia. I have heard of the Isle of Man...I believe a motorcycle race is held there. Hang around and join right in.

simsy56

Thanks, and yes there is, or should l say are, motorcycle races here every june. The TT races, racing around a course of some 37 plus miles on closed public roads. And if you can imagine sitting outside a pub, beer in hand, and the road is a normal country road of around 20 feet wide and motorcycles pass at almost 200 mph, thats the sort of racing we have here. One week practicing every evening, and one weeks racing (8 races). The place is alive. There has been racing here for over one hundred years! Can you believe that?

Take care,

Craig

Grandview Trailer Sa

Craig,
I would love to be sipping beer on that country road.....

I was in Detroit one summer and went to Belle Isle where they had an Indy Car Race and all the big boys were there. This was back in the early 90's. I watched them take a curve marked 25 mph at 125!!

simsy56

l would love to see some Indy car races. One day, maybe.
Tell me guys, what are you paying for fuel over there. Here it's is frightening, roughly 8 dollars per US gallon, thats for gas, around $9 for diesel. We are being screwed for sure.

Craig

H2H1

well at those prices, you would think you have died and and went to oil field in heaven with our price. Here in GA it is running 3.59 to $3.69 pg for gas and pushing $4.00 and more for diesel. And yes we are bitching to, gas should no more than $2.00 PG

It only make RV'ing harder ON a already tight buget.

simsy56

That is some rise. Just the same here, without warning, fuel goes up. Still, as we live near the sea, we don't have far to travel to enjoy the RV in super surroundings, it's just that when we wander off to England, it gets expensive. My brother has just spent winter in Spain, Portugal, and Morocco in his Winnebago Journey and says the fuel in Spain is around $5-$6 pg, and in Gibraltar is was $5 pg, so a little better down there.
Sure is costly running our bit of enjoyment, but wouldn't change it for the world.
Do many of you guys live full time in your RVs? l know a lot do over in the UK, in fact my brother lives full time in his, with his girlfriend. Wish l could, but at the moment it just isn't possible.

Catch you later,

Craig

simsy56

That is one big rise since l was over there in 2009. Wow! What's happening to the world?
May l ask, would a 5er, with a 250 tow truck, be a lot more economical than my 30ft Sunrise? Just a thought keeps going through my head that a fiver may be more more suitable over here due to the awesome cost of fuel, at present l get around 12 mpg (that would be 10 miles per US gallon) with my RV. Do any of you guys have any thoughts?

Regards,

Craig

C Nash

Simsy56 i would not say we are fulltimers as we did no sell everthing. As of now we do go back for Christmas. We will also be returning in April for a grandsons wedding and May for family reunion. With the way gas prices are going it dont look good.

akjimny

I would kill for 10 mpg. I get 7.5 to 8 solo and figure I'll gert around 5 mpg towing the trailer up to Alaska.:8ball:

simsy56

So, it doesn't seem any advantage changing to a 5th wheel economy wise. It was just a thought.

What a lot of RVers do over here is convert the gas engines to run on lpg. Lpg is half the price of gas, and less than half the price of diesel, do you folks ever come across that one?
Lpg is widely available throughout Europe and the UK, and is sold as 'Autogas'. Even a lot of large A class gas RVs run on lpg, the downside is losing a locker to accommodate the extra tanks to be fitted, this is not a problem with a pick up as the tank fits in the truck bed easily. The advantages are zero emissions from the exhaust, and much cleaner engine internals.

Our idea about almost fulltiming was to sell our large home, and buy a smaller apartment (we call them flats), which we did, closing up home, and wander way down south for the winter, flying home for christmas to see the family and grand kids, and returning in january to continue our travels. However family circumstances delayed that plan, but we may be able to do it this coming winter. We will see.

Take care,

Craig

simsy56

akjimny;76487 said:
I would kill for 10 mpg. I get 7.5 to 8 solo and figure I'll gert around 5 mpg towing the trailer up to Alaska.:8ball:

That is awful, l am afraid that wouldn't do over here. Imagine a 50 mile trip costing $90!!!

Craig

simsy56

C Nash;76482 said:
Simsy56 i would not say we are fulltimers as we did no sell everthing. As of now we do go back for Christmas. We will also be returning in April for a grandsons wedding and May for family reunion. With the way gas prices are going it dont look good.

May l ask where you travel to? Is it for the warmth? That's our intention, because the winters here are long and cold and damp and outright miserable. l don't suppose it mattered so much when l was at work, but being retired now the winters seem a whole lot longer.

Craig

H2H1

well I just checked the MPG computer on the MH, and it surprise me 6.8 . I think I need to change my driving habit to improve it some.

Shadow

Hollis, your getting about the same us us. Can sometimes sneek an 8mpg but 6.5 to 7.5 is about right. Don't use the cruise enough. Stay in the 60, 62 range seems to be a good spot. My foot seems to like somewhere between 65 and 70. Keep forgetting I'm retired! :)