New Tow Vehicle on the Block

dmjaway

RE: New Tow Vehicle on the Block

After an hour long conversation with my salesman, (the x-NASA engineer), at Toyota this morning, I came away with a much better understanding of the 07 Tundra's capabilities and, I believe, a clearer picture of the nature of the "load" distribution hitch, (including the pro's and cons of "friction" anti-sway bars).

I would like to submit my findings for discussion, if it would help the forum?

This would be regarding the 07 Tundra 5.7L and the maximum safe trailer weight that this truck can haul.

Starting with the TV itself, the WDH, and a suitable TT

I want to thank everyone here for helping me up this part of the learning curve.

Dave

dmjaway

Thanks guys.

The first thing I want everyone to know is that I am not selling Tundras. We have owned Toyotas for many years and just stayed with them. When we leased an 06 we thought it would do the job of towing what we had in mind, however, the 4.7L was only rated at 7,400 lbs and that wasn't enough. So we went back to the dealership and met a salesman named Tibi who had some extensive engineering background and he helped us with the choice of the 07 5.7.

I needed to understand the truck first, as completely as I could before proceeding to the hitch and on to the TT.

I realize that we are not in the 5er class and don't come close to the specs for the Ford 450 V10 or the Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel, but for our class this is what we have:

A 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Standard bed, (6.5’), 4x4 with Tow and Off Road Packages.

Engine:
·5.7-liter DOHC EFI V8, 32-valve aluminum block with aluminum alloy head with Dual VVT-i
·381 hp @ 5600 rpm
·401 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm
·Bore and stroke: 3.70 x 4.02
·Compression ratio: 10.2:1
·Displacement: 5663 cc
·Ignition system: DIS (Direct)

Transmission:
·6-speed automatic overdrive ECT transmission
·1st 3.333
·2nd 1.960
·3rd 1.353
·4th 1.000
·5th 0.728
·6th 0.588
·Reverse 3.061

Rear End:
·Rear differential ratio/size (in.) 4.300/10.5 in.
About the seemingly low-geared 4.30 ratio, as I understand it, when you put the larger 18" wheels and transmission into play, the engine RPM at 65 mph (6th gear OD) is actually slower (1730 RPM) than the some trucks with a 3.73 ratio in 4th gear OD (1840). Since the torque converter locks in gears 3-6, you can control the effective drive ratio with the transmission gear.

Safety and Brakes:
·Power-assisted four-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with
·Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD),
·Brake Assist, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
·Traction Control (TRAC)
·Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD)
·Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) on 4WD
·Front: Ventilated disc; Front diameter: 13.9 in.
·Rear: Ventilated disc; Rear diameter: 13.6 in.

Steering:
·Rack-and-pinion hydraulic power steering
·Ratio: (Double Cab 4x4: 18.0)
·Turns, lock-to-lock: 3.71
·Turning circle (ft.), curb-to-curb: Double Cab: 44.0/49.0

Parks much easier than my 2006 Tundra did, much better turning radius.

Suspension:
·Front independent coil-spring high-mounted double-wishbone with stabilizer bar and low-pressure nitrogen gas shocks;
·Rear live axle with trapezoidal multi-leaf rear suspension and staggered low-pressure nitrogen gas shocks.
It does ride like a passenger car with the tire pressure at 33-36, (on a max of 44ps).

The track, front and rear, is 67.9" and the ground clearance is 10.4"

The 07 has a GVWR of 7100lbs, Hitch weight Rating of 1030 lbs, Payload Capacity of 1580 lbs, and a Tow Capacity of 10,300 for the 4x4.

With this in mind, I will end this section and try to put some of this information into another section regarding the actual towing capabilities and the correct "Load" Distribution Hitch .

Thanks for your patience,

Dave

BarneyS

Dmjaway said:
"The Hensley unit with its 1400 Pound weight distribution bars, the PullRite, including its equalizing equipment, or the Blue Ox “Sway Pro” with Shanks, or perhaps another preference?"

There is no comparison between the Hensley and PullRite with the Blue Ox. They are in two completly different leagues, both pricewise and performance wise.

The Blue Ox is a weight distributing hitch that uses friction to help control sway. It uses the friction between the upper and lower parts of the hitch head where the bars pivot to control sway. The devices around the chains, although advertised as sway control, do not do anything to help control sway or anything else. In my opinion, it is an inferior design to some of the other friction based sway control units that are available su;ch as the Reese "Dual Cam" or the Equal-i-zer. There is also a new one by Reese that looks and functions very similar to the Equal-i-zer but I can't remember the name of it.

The Hensley and PullRite, on the other hand, do not rely on friction at all to prevent sway. In fact, sway almost cannot happen with the use of these two hitches. They each work differently to accomplish the same goal however. The PullRite functions almost exactly like a 5th wheel hitch that is mounted below the truck rather than in the bed. It places the articulation point of the truck/trailer combination just behind the rear axle of the truck which is similar to what a 5th wheel hitch does. This helps to eliminate or control sway. It also includes weight distribution in its' design.

The Hensley hitch mounts entirely on the tongue of the trailer and also does not use any friction in its' design to control sway. It controls or eliminates sway by the linkage designed into the hitch head and moves the effective pivot point up near the rear axle of the truck which also makes it eliminate sway as well as a 5th wheel hitch does. It functions extremely well and you will not experience any sway at all when you use this hitch. It also incorporates weight distribution into its' design as do all the others.

Both of the above two hitches are quite expensive to purchase new BUT they also bring at least 1/2 or better of their purchase price if sold used when you decide you don't need it anymore. The Hensley also comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, including shipping, if you are not satisfied with your purchase.

I have towed for many years with regular hitches, friction sway controls, Dual Cam sway control, and now with a Hensley. I will never go back to the other style hitches. I have not towed with a PullRite but my good friend has and he now has a Hensley. He says that they both eliminate sway about equally but each has disadvantages/advantages of their own.

One more comment. While the Tundra is a beautiful and impressive truck, you need to be wary of some of the claims made by truck makers today. In regards to the 10,500# towing rating of the Tundra, I would be very careful of what I towed with that weight. There is a HUGE difference between towing a flat bed trailer with 10,000# of steel rod on it , or a boat trailer/boat that weighs 10,500# and a travel trailer that weighs 10,500#. The frontal area of the travel trailer will make the truck work MUCH harder than the other two items mentioned! Please don't think that you can tow that large of a load in a travel trailer. I am afraid you will be extremely disapointed!

Hope this helps you out a bit on your search for a hitch. Good luck.
Barney

dmjaway

Thanks Barney for the input. Hensley now has a 60 day guarantee. We just watched their new video and it is an impressive hitch.

Don't worry, we won't be towing anything close to 10,500 lbs. The 07Tundra4x4 DC is only rated at 10,300 lbs and we believe that is withjust thedriver and no payload.

Best that we expect is 8500-9000 max.We don't yet know how the passenger and payload factors will work out.

We aren't new to towing, just TT newbies.

We are still looking at the PullRite, the Hensley, and Reese's new hitch.

Apart from that, we are on to finding the best configuration TT for the 07 Tundra.

We also intend to cap the bed of the truck with a classic wedge, we know it will add some weight but it may help air flow characteristics hitting the front of the TT.

Dave

jcpeck

Thanks for the great info. I just bought a new Tundra and am struggling with hitch weight on a TT I'm looking at. Hitch weight is 900 lbs and I am not sure if I should go that high.

dmjaway

Re: New Tow Vehicle on the Block

The 07 Tundra's, (Tow Package), hitch is a weight distribution hitch which is a class 4 HD it will support a tongue weight, with the tow package of 1500 lbs but the hitch rating of 1030 lbs comes from the calculation of 10% of the Tow Rating of 10,300 lbs for the DC, Std bed, 4X4 with the Off Road and Tow Package. We have decided not to go above 900 lbs hitch weight even with a Hensley or Equilizer hitch attached to the TT tongue. For the 07, it looks like we will have to stay in the 7K to 9K TT GVW range to stay within all of the TV and TT ratings.