newb needs help.

txboatnut

I bought a 1996 nomad a few months ago when my job transferred to another city. I have lurked around a lot before this post and there is some great info here. Anyway here is my problem. The other day I noticed the door was dragging when it is closed and decided to check it out. I pulled the bottom aluminum piece of the door and found a bunch of rotted wood. So how easy is it to fix this? Can I do it with out having to take the door completely off? Am I correct to guess this was caused by a water leak somewhere? Where could that leak be? Any help would be great

Krazeehorse

newb needs help.

I have the same problem right now with the storm door on my home. Water has gotten into the lower panel (either from rain or condensation, most likely both) and the plywood or whatever it is they use has swollen and pushed the metal out and down. I have thought about leveraging it back into place and putting flat angles on the bottom corners to hold it up. Not the prettiest solution but not terrible either and much le$$ than a new door.

WildWillyToo

newb needs help.

TXBOATNUT
Those doors can be repaired, but it's a little troublesome. I wouldn't even attempt it without removing the door from the trailer and working on a nice level surface. You're going to need to be sure it's perfectly square before you button it all back together.
If need any pointers, feel free to post it. I check in here daily.
You may want to consider a new door + frame. OR, maybe a door from an rv salvage yard.

Good Luck

Kirk

newb needs help.

I will agree with the previous post. It might make sense to just get a new replacement door from the manufacturer if they are available. Chances are the leak was just in the door, if that is the only place with damage. Those doors should be sealed so that water does not get inside the layers but once damaged it is not going to be easy to repair.

Grandview Trailer Sa

newb needs help.

I agree with Kirk and Campertech. Personnally I would not try to rebuild it. You will spend a LOT of time trying to get it right and you will have to cut the wood pieces to a perfect fit. If you don't have the equipment to do that, you won't get it right.

Phillips makes most of the doors on RV's. I believe Creation is the other large manufacture. Go to any dealer near you and they should have a way to order a new door. Unless there is something real special, you don't have to go back through Nomad. What the dealer will have to know is the height, width, window or not, right or left hinge, and if the top corners are square or a radius.

Camping World might have doors too, I don't know, but watch their freight charges. If I order enough in one order, a lot of supply houses won't charge freight.

Let me know if I can help more. Good luck

txboatnut

newb needs help.

thanks for the help guys. I new you could answer.

Grandview,
any idea what a door would cost? Window, left hinge squar corners, dont know width and how tall since I dont have a tape. I will get one, probably common width and height.

txboatnut

newb needs help.

thanks for the help guys. I new you could answer.

Grandview,
any idea what a door would cost? Window, left hinge squar corners, dont know width and how tall since I dont have a tape. I will get one, probably common width and height.

team3360

newb needs help.

You can try www.rvsurplussalvage.com in Elkhart IN. They buy all the surplus from the RV manufacturers in Elkhart. Pretty good prices . They have on-line catalog you can order from and you can call by phone and talk to a person,not a machine,They have always been very knowledgable and helpful. Just have your measurements, window Y/N, Hinge R/L, Corners R/SQ when you call and they will be very helpful . Shipping has not been too high either. Good luck LEE

s.harrington

newb needs help.

A new door would run around $300.00 . It comes with a new frame, lock, window, and screen door for that price. To order you will need the door frame cutout measurements, right or left hinge, type of lock mechanism, and color. Also any option such as window. Some don't include the lock with the door just a cutout for the lock. These doors are usually $35-50 cheaper.