Newbie - Large Family

3Birds

Hi All -

We have never rv'd but would like to travel 6 months out of the year with our family. We have 5 children and are looking for a Class A with Quad Bunks. Do they exist? If so what do veterans recommend as far as manufacturers (limited, I'm sure), Diesel vs. Gas? etc. We could use as much info as possible. If there is a starting point you all would recommend, a book, video etc. that would be great!

We are truly rv virgins here but our businesses are virtual, we homeschool, and want to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. Hope to hear from some of you.

Tim

DL Rupper

Re: Newbie - Large Family

Hey 3 Birds, welcome to the forum. Haven't ever seen a Class A with quad bunks. Haven't ever seen one with a single bunk bed. I would suggest a Class C diesel engine setup. Some of the The Class C's are designed towards families, where as a Class A is geared more for the older retired market. I mentioned a diesel engine because with 5 children you are going to need a large 7 passenger vehicle towed behind your RV. A diesel engine Class C may have a stronger frame and be able to tow heavier vehicles.

Go buy a current copy of MotorHome magazine and check the Web for motor home manufacturer's. Their web sites usually have floor plans/specs on what they offer. If there are any RV shows that will coming to your area, go see what they have. That way you can be exposed to various types of RV's and floor plans. Just don't believe everything the salesmen try to hoodwink you with. Buy a book on full time RVing. It will give you lots of use full info even though you don't plan to actually fulltime. I think Wal-Mart carries a small RVing 101 type handbook in their RV parts (AUTO) dept. Before you make any decisions, do lots of research.

3Birds

Thanks for the info - very helpful. Since you suggest a Class C - do they make them big enough for a large family spending that much time in them? And still powerfull enough to pull a vehicle? Thanks for the reply - all info greatly appreciated!

Tim

DL Rupper

Normally Class C's come in 22', 26' and 30' models. The 30' would probably have floor plans that would sleep your family. However, they also now make Class Cs that are on Mid to Big Truck Diesel chassis. Freightliner, Merecedes and GM Mid sized Duramax/Allison Kodiak chassis are used. I'm not real sure what size they are, but they are big.
Any Motor Home that has a extended engine type cab up front is considered a Class C. Even if the front cab looks exactly like the cab of a 18 wheel big semi-truck.

G

I agree with DL ,, there isn't any (to my knowledge) of a class A that has the setup u want ,,, most have a very minimual sleeping arangment ,, via king size bed in master and one hidabed in living room ,, but IMO i would do as DL says ck out the mags and then go to shows ,, and really look around ,, but don't jump into an rv ,, when the one that u want or soots u ,, u'll know it ,, u'll sit down in it and say hey this rv fits us or me ...
Bty welcome to the forum ,,, don't be afraid to ask away on here cause we kinda do like rving and we have done some pretty stupid stuff doing it ,, so u'r question is not dumb ,, cause we have probally donw it a time or two ,, or in Nash's case all the time :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
We also kid around with each other ,, that's what makes this forum great ;) ;) :approve: :approve: :) :)
Also din't worry about spelling ,, cause we know what u mean ,, and were not a bunch of school teachers that will correct u :) :) :) ;)

WILLY3328

RE: Newbie - Large Family

Winnebago makes the Sunstar and Vista 32' Class A, both with bunk beds and both have a large wrap-around dinette which would probably accommodate the kids better than the standard dinette. They also have the 35' Sunova and Sightseer with bunk beds but with the standard dinette. All have either a queen or king bed in addition to a sofa bed which sleeps 2.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/itasca/sunstar/floorplans.php

Happy hunting
Bill

rjf7g

5 kids...7 people in your non-RV vehicle...you are definitely looking at a big A or C bunkhouse rig or something like a toyhauler A or C that you modify to maximize sleeping spaces. One things to keep in mind as you look at floor plans is, what will the unit look like by day - especially rainy days where we're not out and about AND what will it look like by night? I like to have campers where I don't have to drop a table to send someone to bed, but you may not be able to avoid that. Jackknife sofas as well as sleeper sofas can be left made up, but a dinette can't if you ever use it as a dinette.

Take a look at Tiffin Allegro 35QBA - http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/allegro/floorplans.php - this plan has two kids sleeping together and they should be the kids who stay up the latest -- depending upon ages and genders, that may not work out for you.

Check out the Gulfstream Bounty Hunter - http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/bounty-hunter/381b.htm mom and pop sleep upstairs and the kids are on cots where the toys would normally go...

I don't know about tow capacity of either of these units and I have never owned, driven, or seen either of these...

G

yea u know how it is I got to make an impression ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

Plenty of rv options out there to chose from. The fun is in finding them. Rod thought I would join in to help you with the spelling count :bleh: Now Scotter is gonna have to take off his shoes :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

woops, I meant Scooter:( Now he will have to borrow someone elses toes and fingers:clown: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RV Pappy

Buying a new coach for a ton of people takes a ton of carrying capacity. Watch closely what the carrying capacity is...and wheelbase is important too... with people moving about in the coach while your going down the road can get kinda hairy, but it will happen, so plan for it. Unfortunately, most Class C coaches, even the big ones, start out with way too little carrying capacity. Don't be fooled by the size and look... some are overloaded before you put any people in them... with a family of five, you DO NOT wnat an overloaded coach that is unsafe to drive. The best option for you would be as someone mentioned, a car hauler that you can put bunks into and with plenty of storage in back. I think some Class A's are coming out now with the car hauler option. When you check the wheelbase, be sure that it is at least 56%. That is the ratio of the wheelbase to the vehicle length. Divide the wheelbase (in inches) by the exterior length (in inches) to get the ratio. Next, be sure the carrying capacity is at least 2500 lbs after figuring the weight of the kids and fresh water. And read as many forums as you can... they are a wealth of information.

DennyM