Newbie needs help - Part II: How about Fleetwood Pace Arrow

Harry_

Hi,

in my previous post I was asking what you think about a '99 National or a '05 Fleetwood Southwind. Thank you all for your great advice!

But now I am having a new “problem”: My wife and I went to a dealer and we saw a '04 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C, white leather, dark cherry wood, three slides, very spacious, high ceilings. My wife loves it, and I have to admit I, really like it too! My "final" price now would be at 94,000. The coach looks (very) nice, which might not mean much (but I don't even know what to look for), and its under 10,000 miles. It is a Workhorse with a 8.1L Vortec V8, gas.

As emotionally we really would like that coach, I - after doubling my original budget - should at least check with you pros what you think about it, how you like that brand/that certain model, if Pace Arrows in general a reliable coaches, pros/cons, of course if it would be worth that price, etc. Also, any indication on how much I am going to loose (per year) would be good to know: there is the depreciation, but also the fact that if I return it to a dealer they would cut off quite a peace or get a commission.

Alternatively, there would be two more Pace Arrows 37C, but both of them on the other end of the country in Florida:
One '04 for (only) 84,400, same mileage, BUT not in the nice wood we like.
And another one a '05 (the dealer listed it as a '06 but the VIN shows it is a '05?), with half the miles, same exact interior as the one in California. Price 95,000. So about the same, but one (or two) years younger, half the mileage (~5,000).

What are the most important things I should and could check before I am going to buy it. Can I really expect the dealer to care about fixing a problem once I left the lot? How about an extended warranty?

Well, thanks again for any feedback!
Harry

DL Rupper

Re: Newbie needs help - Part II: How about Fleetwood Pace Arrow

Harry, make sure you get all the i's dotted and t's crossed on any extended warranty. They will only fix exactly what the contract spells out. If it isn't explicitly delineated in the contract, they won't fix it. You also need to get prior approval for every repair or they won't reimburse you for it. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but it is a personal preference type thing. Some people swear by them. The warranty provider only offers the warranty because in the long run they can make money on it. The statistical probability of failure is on their side or they wouldn't be in business.

hertig

Many extended warrantees are out and out scams. A company sells a bunch of policies and then goes out of business when the payouts start coming in. Some of the rest go out of their way to make it 'impossible' to collect by writing the contract so almost noone can meet the terms.

For the first, investigate the company AND their reinsurer. For the latter, read the contract (NOT A SALES BROCHURE) before signing.

There are 2 types, inclusive and exclusive. Inclusive tend to be cheaper and more trouble, since they will cover what is listed in the contract and NOTHING ELSE. Exclusive can be better, since they will cover everything EXCEPT what is listed in the contract. Pay strict attention to what you have to do to get a claim paid, since if you don't fulfill your requirements, they will not pay.

Before you contract to buy the RV, make sure that all the things which need to be fixed are listed and signed by the dealer. It is a truism that nothing the dealer says or promises is of any value whatsoever if it is not documented and signed. That said, a good dealer will work with you within reason. I would not plan on getting anything (not contracted for) done on the unit after you drive it off the lot. Then if you do get something done, it will be a pleasant surprise.

So your test drive (before you contract to buy) should check out EVERYTHING you can. Even if it is 110 degrees out, check the heater; even if it is 32 degrees out, check out the A/C. It is best if you have the drivetrain inspected by an expert, since a problem there will cause you the most grief. Also check for leaks in the RV since rot is really difficult to overcome.

As for the price, check out the NADA guides and/or Blue Book to see what the average retail has been. Then you can set your target between low and average retail (if buying from a dealer). And of course, you know that when you make an offer, the only words which have any meaning from the dealer is either 1) Sold or 2) a valid lower price. If you don't get either of those responses to an offer, you MUST walk. You can always check back later and might well have a new offer on you phone by the time you get home :)

C Nash

Harry,
Check the CCC which should be listed inside one of the cabnits. If it is the w22 chassis the CCC will probably be low. You can get by with low CCC for weekend or short trips but be careful in this area. Some units are nearly overloaded from the factory. Most current year MHs are built on last year chassis.