Newbie Needs Help

superpapa

We are new to the RVing world...so new we have gotten one yet! It's the basic question...which brand offers the best quality at the best affordable price. I'm looking to get a 5th wheel (26 ft). I think my Nissan Titan could handle that. I have located a Flagstaff by Forest River but after reading the discussion here about their problems, I not sure I want to go that route. I don't mind paying top dollar I just want a quality RV that's going to have minimal problems. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

ARCHER

Re: Newbie Needs Help

Check the Sunnybrook line of trailers. If your near Bedford Va, check at Grandview Trailer Sales.

C Nash

How are you planning on using it? Will you be camping year round, extended time or just ocasionally? Entry, mid or upper line of RV? I agree with Archer on the Sunnybrook line but would also look at the Montana 5th wheel. Nash and Artic fox make a pretty good unit if you can find them.

np5511

RE: Newbie Needs Help

Be sure to check o ut RV consumers.org. They ae the best source of objective infromatioon abouut RV manufacturesr. :)

THISTOYISHERS

np5511, thanks for this info, it helped me to find what I neede.

TOY

ps my friends told me this was a great group to learn from

THISTOYISHERS

DL RUPPER,
hOW DOES THAT DODGE RAM 2500 pull up hills and how is the gas mileage?
Thanks for your input as I am trying to figure if to get a 5th wheel or a travel tarailor, or a class C

TOY

DL Rupper

Gee Toy, the magic words. How well does my Dodge pull up hills. I've got the 2003 Dodge CTD 2500, 305 hp, 555 Ft lbs torque so its not quite as fast or as strong as the newer models, but I can tow my 12,000 lb 5th wheel up a 6% long, long grade at 70 miles per hour in 5th gear. I get 11.5 miles per gallon at 65 mph in 6th gear and if I slow down to 55 mph I can get about 12.5 mpg in 5th gear. Empty I get 23.5 mpg at 65 mph. This is a 3/4 ton, long bed, reg cab, 4x2 (light weight) Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel. Oh, and did I say the Dodge CTD exhaust smoke smells good too. :bleh: :approve:

I might add I don't have a clue how well the new Dodge, Ford or GM diesels are doing. They switched to a bigger diesel engine with a more restrictive emissions control systems in the 2007/08 models. I wouldn't buy one until they get all the little bugs worked out. 2009/10.

Personally I would stay away from the older 6.0L Ford Power Strokes as they have had lots of trouble. The older Classic 07 GM Duramax/Allison is a good truck. The Duramax engine is probably not as reliable nor will it last as long as the Cummins, but good. The Dodge 05/06, 4 spd auto gets better mileage than the new 6 spd manual. However, the 03/04 older (NV 5600) 6 spd manual gets better mileage than the 4 spd auto. It's all in the gearing. The 2007 Classic GM Duramax has the most hp/torque. ;) :laugh:

G

I knew DL had to throw in the diesel smell ,, it's his trade mark ;) :laugh: :laugh: