Newbie question off road 5w

ridehard

Hello everyone,
I am about to but my 1st trailer & full size truck.
I am buying a 2002 ford f-350 PSD 4x4 off road & a 2002 Kit Patio Hauler (351FP).
I am picking the rig up at the end of the week.
The current owner put 315 tires on the truck recently. I am concerned that I will need to raise the trailer to get the clearances recommended my Reese. (6” bed).
I will be using this rig off road and would like to know if anyone has experience using a 5th wheel trailer off road?
I will be setting the trailer up at camping areas that have uneven campsites.
What is the best way to level out a 5w trailer on uneven ground?
:)

hertig

Newbie question off road 5w

If you are going to be towing 'off road', you will want to have extra clearance between the top of the bed rails and the bottom of the 5w overhang. The easiest way to raise a trailer is usually to 'flip' the axles. Sometimes you can also lower the truck, although that may not be practical for off road use.

There are 2 axes of leveling, front to back, and side to side. The cheapest way to level side to side is to drive over a ramp under the low side wheels. Attaching a marked level to your trailer will tell you how much you need to raise the low side. Some people carry chunks of scrap lumber, and some carry flat plastic blocks (like Lynx) or plastic/metal ramps (like LevelUpp). In any case, build a stable, ramped pile in front or back of the low side wheels, and carefully pull the trailer up on the pile or ramp. Chock the wheels so the trailer will not roll off. Any kind of chock will work on the wheel(s) still on the ground; I prefer a cam-lock chock between the wheels which are raised.

Front to back leveling should be easy, just disconnect the trailer and use the landing leg jacks to get the trailer level, then lower the rear stabilizer jacks and there you are.

If money is no object, there are various hydrolic and/or mechanical leveling systems you can add.

One final caveat. If you unhook on level ground (side to side), it may be very challanging to hook up again, unless your hitch head swivels from side to side as well as front to back. If your rig does not have a side to side swivel ability, you might want to consider upgrading to one which does.

Another hitch consideration. If your truck is a short bed, you may have problems with the trailer hitting the truck during sharp turns. If your hitch does not 'slide' to compensate for this, then again you may want to consider upgrading.

If I was in the market for a hitch today, I'd check out the PullRite first, although any name brand will probably do.