Newbie to RV - beginner needs assistance at Florida RV show

ChicagoDon

Hello All! My wife and I are new to all this and have just started looking into the RV lifestyle. I will be heading to the Florida State Fair grounds on either the 19th or 20th of this month to attend my first RV show. We are novices to everything RV related and are just in the research mode. Can I get some advice as to what I should look at while at the show? I see that there are some free seminars there....I assume these would be beneficial.

Any tips on how you decided on this lifestyle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your response.

DL Rupper

Re: Newbie to RV - beginner needs assistance at Florida RV show

Hey ChicagoDon, welcome to the forum. Go to your local book store and buy a book on Full-time RVing. While you are there buy 2 magazines. TrailerLife and MotorHome. Wal-Mart has a RVing 101 handbook in the RV parts (auto) dept. Read up and research as much info on RVing as you can before going to the RV show. keep an open mind and don't make any hasty decisions while at the show. The salesmen will try to sell you anything they have.

H2H1

hey Don welcome to the forum, I know you pick up alot bull in some froum but not here. I havn't been a member to long an these guys are great. they want mis lead you. we cut up some as you can see in some other post. but they will get you answer you need or guide you in the right direction. And DL was right you can finr a lot of info inthe book stores on RV'ing. HAPPY traveling when you and the family get started.

G

DL and Hollis are right ,, do some research ,, then go to the show and enjoy ur'self ,, u can ck all the models and u won't be pressured by any salemen or women ,, but they are around if u have any questions ,, show enjoy the show and welcome to the forum ,,, bty when u get the rv bug ,, there is nothing else like it ;) ;) ;) :) :) :) :)

marstrings

I can't speak from personal experience as I'm a complete newbie to this world myself, but I would say, be on your guard against the salesmen. Make sure you stick to your intent of researching only.

I have read quite a bit of information from the RV Consumer Group, in particular by a guy called JD Gallant. He's a very keen motorhome enthusiast and has been a MH salesman in the past. He doesn't paint a very rosy picture of RV salesmen. In fact what he has to say is quite scary. The RV group has a lot to say about safety issues with RVs as well; stuff you will definitely want to know.

I would recommend you check out www.rv.net (the RV Consumer's Group site). I joined up and got the 'How to Select, Inspect and Buy an RV' book as well as the ratings guide and the 'How To Outwit a Salesman' booklet. Lots of extremely useful information to arm yourself with before you go to the show.

M.

ChicagoDon

Thanks everyone for the great info....I will definately be just going for research...will be getting the magazines and books you all mentioned and checking out the websites.

Thanks again! I am looking forward to the show this weekend.

H2H1

Hello Chicago Don being a beginner don't be fooled into buying something you and your family don't need. There are some very good RV salesmen out there so be care full. only buy what you and your family will need or just one up from that. I have had 2TT and now into a MH.SO YOU CAN ALWAYS MOVE UP You can also talk the Ken on the forum he owns Grand View Trailers Sale out of Bedford VA. he is very honest about his TT.and 5th wheels. and what I have been told he take care of his customer after the sale. And when you get yours start enjoying theRV life style.I CAN HONESTLY SAY IT CAN'T GET ANY BETTER.

G

Apluad for Hollis ,, the rv life is good ,, and very addicting ,, once u start u can't stop ,, and if u have the rv that fits u ,, it even better ,, heck u never know after u decide on an rv ,, we may find u setting in it and pretending u'r out camping in it ,, but hey that's ok ,, we all have done it ,, offseason is hell so we have to do something to bide the time ;) :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DL Rupper

Is this the off season??????????????????? :laugh: :evil:

C Nash

rub it in rub it in :laugh: :laugh:

G

as Nash said :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :disapprove: :disapprove:

HAPPYBOB

:cool: Looking to buy a 2008 Ram 2500 SLT MEGA CAB 4X2, should this pull a 30ft - 5th wheel ? Wife thinks we need
the Mega Cab. Happy Bob, & Wife, Luckey Jude. Greeneville, TN.

DL Rupper

HAPPYBOB, welcome to the forum. If you get the auto slider hitch for your short bed you should be fine. Don't waste your money on the type hitch that manually needs to be moved in the truck bed. Seems we humans are forgetful and there are lots of RV'ers that have forgot to move the hitch and damaged their trucks when the RV hit the cab on a real tight turn. :(