Newbie trying to order hitch

Mikro402

We are getting a ViewFinder V-22RBDS. It has a dry weight of 4,910# and a hitch weight of 445#(I assume hitch weight means the same as tongue weight?)
I like what I have read about the Blue Ox SwayPro. It seems to be easy to use and maintain.
The SwayPro comes in :
BXW0550 (550 lbs)
BXW0750 (750 lbs)
BXW1000 (1000 lbs)
BXW1500 (1500 lbs)
Would the 750# be right? I have read that if you have too light a tongue weight sway will increase. Being a newbie to rving and dont want to get the wrong hitch.
The way the floor plan is, most of the storage is toward the front of the trailer.

I also looked at the Equalizer but thought it was a bit more complicated. But I do want the best on-road towing experience.

Thanks in advance,

Mikro

mrmac8

Tongue weight and hitch weight are the same -- usually about 10 percent of total weight. However, there are two weight measurements - dry and gross. Dry weight is empty with nothing, and I mean nothing, in the trailer other than what came out of the factory. Add-ons like awnings and LP gas bottles are just the beginning of added weight. Water is a pound per pint and your trailer can probably carry between 90 and 120 gallons of water - fresh, grey and black -- which means if full you can have about 1000 pounds over dry weight. Then factor in what you add to the trailer to leave in it -- dishes, pots, linens, chairs, tools, etc -- and what you carry for a trip -- clothes, camping gear, etc -- and you can add another 1000 pounds in a flash. What is more important is the gross weight of the trailer as it sets the maximum as well as considering what your maximum tow weight is for your tow vehicle. I would assume that the gross weight for the trailer is somewhere in 6500 to 7500 pound range. That means as a minimum you need the 750 as well as towing capacity near 8000 pounds. As a matter of practically, you will rarely trailer with full grey and black tanks. Most travel with only enough fresh water to cover water needs between stops -- something like 25% to 33% of fresh water and minimum grey water. Generally more carrying capacity is better than just meeting the maximum capacities. Still everything you carry on in either the trailer or tow vehicle affects the gross weight capacities of the trailer and tow vehicle. As for forgoing an equalizer, I think it is a mistake. They make hitching a bit more complicated, but the safety factor in both equalizing the weight across the tow vehicle and preventing sway (most equalizers are also stabilizers) is too important.

jpelington

Mikro402;73848 said:
We are getting a ViewFinder V-22RBDS. It has a dry weight of 4,910# and a hitch weight of 445#(I assume hitch weight means the same as tongue weight?)
I like what I have read about the Blue Ox hitch SwayPro. It seems to be easy to use and maintain.
The SwayPro comes in :
BXW0550 (550 lbs)
BXW0750 (750 lbs)
BXW1000 (1000 lbs)
BXW1500 (1500 lbs)
Would the 750# be right? I have read that if you have too light a tongue weight sway will increase. Being a newbie to rving and dont want to get the wrong hitch.
The way the floor plan is, most of the storage is toward the front of the trailer.

I also looked at the Equalizer but thought it was a bit more complicated. But I do want the best on-road towing experience.

Thanks in advance,

Mikro

agree! i believe that swaypro is somewhat good, it some kinda easy to use and it has a lot of difference to the other brands or models

regards,

james

Arrowhead2

Those hitches aren't that bad at all. I used to go with the Equalizer on my '08 Tundra but upgraded once I bought a HD Silverado. If you want, there's a hitch selector on the site in my sig that estimates the best hitch and towing capacity with a car or truck or RV.

rocker22

Arrowhead2;76996 said:
Those hitches aren't that bad at all. I used to go with the Equalizer on my '08 Tundra but upgraded once I bought a HD Silverado. If you want, there's a hitch selector on the site in my sig that estimates the best hitch and towing capacity with a car or truck or RV.

Yes, that makes the sorting easier, i found similar on http://www.hitchanything.com/ , ordered mine there couple of weeks ago, good selection and the prices are not too bad either :p