Newmar Essex

JonJonRV

Pros? any Cons? Looking at a 2003 Newmar Essex. Any advice on service issues? Mechanical problems? Livability?

Any owners that can give estimate on gas milage with the 500 horsepower Cummins would be appreciated.

G

RE: Newmar Essex

well i don't have an Essex but do own an Alegro Bus and it has the Cummins ,, but i have done alot of mods to my engine and i get about 11 mpg with it ,,, as far as the coach goes ,, look in every nick and cranny u can ,, this is cking for water damage ,, also make sure EVERYTHING works ,,, plug it into shore power and such ,, also ck the tires ,, since i work on these things for a living ,, i can say this ,, i have had very few newmars with major probs ,, but they all have the little nit-picking probs that u'll have to get used to or fix ur'self.. bty are u buying from a dealer or an independent??? it could make the diff ,, in the little probs ,, but JMO ;) :) :approve: :approve:

JonJonRV

Re: Newmar Essex

Thanks 730!! I appreciate the response. It is owned by the original owner that is experiencing health issues and has decided to sell. Would you be so kind as to expound on the modifications you have done to increase mpg? Every little bit helps with the price of diesel today!

Thanks again for reading AND responding!!

G

Re: Newmar Essex

well if u have about $5,000 to $10,000 u can make it run like a champ ,, most of it is injector upgrades,, pump mods ,, and turbo mods ,, and then after all that u need the ECM reflashed ,, and a new control board that u can set up u'r self ,, via fuel ,, boost pressure and such ,,, bty the older 5.9 Cummins came out of the factory set @ only 20% of total power ,, the b-model (5.9) has been around since the late 70's ,, but back then they were only used in mining equip and stuff (pumps,, air inductors) but it will run ,, and as long as the drive train holds up ,, u'r ok ,, i had a super duty driveline made for mine ,, it's was made buy a guy that builds the big 4 and 5 engine tractor pull tractors ,,, it was expensive though $2,000 ,, but it's piece of mind ,, if u know what i mean ;) :approve: :approve: :) :cool: :cool:
bty the fuel milage did not increase ,, but the black smoke did ,, i have lost about 2mpg witht the mods ,, but i can pull hills better than ever ,, and not slowing anybody else down behind me ;) :cool: