NEWMAR&FLEETWOOD OWNERS WATER IN AIR -INTAKE

RobbieAndTeresa

"007" I'm no computer wiz either, but I did copy your "fix" to this reply, and again thank you as I did the "fix" on our 04 Kountry Star on W22 and it worked well. A VERY EASY 5 minute job that only cost $12. to $18. depending on where you get the weather strip.

Hope this helps in your quest to help others.

Take care

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by "007":
Newmar has developed a cover for the air intake that will prevent water from being ingested into the engine.If you contact a Workhorse facility close to you and have them call Newmar they will send the parts and installation instructions to them as well as authorize the repair.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading everyones problems with the NEWMAR coachs sucking water into the air-intake and finding out that the supposed repair kit by NEWMAR isn't working on some rigs already converted with the kit, I said to myself their must be a better way to correct this problem. Looking at my front hood access there is a 3/8" gap between the moveable hood and the fiberglass body at the top. Within this gap are two hinges for the moveable hood. The gap is straight thru, no lips for deflection of water or anything else. This space is above the air-intake funnel so any water will be sucked up by air-intake. I purchased for $15 a BULB STYLE WEATHER-strip at Auto-Zone,the size is 7/8"+3/4"+8', the 3/4 is the base that is adhesive backed and the 7/8 is the round bulb that is attached to the base. It is made of EPDM sponge rubber to provide better protection against the elements than neoprene foam tape. The size of your space maybe smaller than mine(3/8) an you may only need a 1/2" bulb. The lenth of my hood opening is 6'. I cut off an inch,from both ends, of the 6' to allow the curved hood ends to close, without binding the hood in the corners of the opening of the fiberglass body. When you look at the hinges you will notice a 5/8" space behind the hinges on the fiberglass body.This is where I layed the weather-strip,you can guide the strip,with your fingers, along the back edge sticking it to the fiberglass. Removing the paper strip as you go,take your time because when it sticks it "sticks". Make sure you clean the fiberglass with a cleaner so the strip will stick on good. When you are done and you close the hood, you will not notice the weather strip because it will be on the back side of the hood edge. "SO DO YOU SAY WILL IT WORK?" I say it will. I had a garden hose full force sprayed on the face of the hood, thru the front openings and the air-intake funnel didn't have a drop of water along the upper edge, where the screen is,and not a drop on the screen like people have observed when they had a engine shut down. I don't know if this will help other owners like Winne's,Allegro's.etc. but they have not had this problem like we NEWMAR owners. If you have been having this problem I would suggest you check your air filter,it is paper, if its been wet it should be changed, your filter is accessed in a box in the passenger wheel well in back of the air dam. I for one will stick with this fix till someone comes up with a better one. -----------------Nov.--28th-- This same fix can be applied to the Fleetwood Storm & Southwind,I understand they have been having this same problem from other sites I have visited. You may have a different way of your hatch opening,but the weather-strip can be applied to the door or fiberglass body over the moverable door. You may not need the size I used, but one smaller,depends on the size of your crack opening. The purpose of the weather-strip is to close the upper crack and not allow water thru and into the air funnel. After this is done you will have raised your funnel opening,the width of your door, by this operation. I know this will work because other people have e-mailed me,to say it has for them, from other sites.-----"007"

"007"

People are still having water problems they need to do the fix, its working for a great many Newmar owners. I did a follow up test thru a driving rain storm going about 75 miles stopping twice to check the air intake tube for water. After going about 40 miles I stopped in a rest area to check tube, dry as a bone, rain drops all over the inside fire wall but not a drop down the air tube. I didn't have to have a driving rain to cause me troubles with my Workhorse, just a lite rain so far so good. I continued on and tried to run thru every puddle I could find on the highway after I arrived home same result, no water in air intake. If you have been having the water problem it is adviseable to change your paper air filter, the paper one will work fine, the K&N you don't need.---"007"