No 12 vots after hooking up battery in reverse polarity 1995 kz sportsman travel trailor

keicla99

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would know if there is a main fuse after the battery in case you hook the battery up backwards. I have done this and now I do not have any 12 volts in my 1995 kz sportsman camper. First let me explain, I hooked the battey up backwards and not knowing started the generator to the camper. I did not see any sparks from anywhere on the camper or battery. I then went into the camper and could use the 120 side of things. all worked and still works fine. When I realized what I had done I switched the cables to blk Pos and Wht Neg and then checked the fuses and breakers. None of these were blown or tripped at any time. But I still do not have any 12 volt line working. I have checked the battey and have 12.7 volts there and cannot find the fuse for reverse polarity if this unit has one. Being that at no time did any of the fuses or breakers trip I feel the line must have failed before it got to the fuse box. Again everything works with the generator pluged in, just no 12 volt line now . Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

G

RE: No 12 vots after hooking up battery in reverse polarity 1995 kz sportsman travel trailor

well first off welcome ,, second ,, what type of converter do u have ?? Most have a couple fuses on the back side of them ,, u have to take the cover off to ck them ,, they are put there just for u'r type of misshap ,, if no fuses there ,, then i would ck with u'r meter ,, and see what u have at the 12 volt source on the converter lug ,, if no 12 volt there ,, then u may have an inline fuse somewhere ,, but let us know what u find :approve: :approve: :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: No 12 vots after hooking up battery in reverse polarity 1995 kz sportsman travel trailor

We had a trailer brought in the other day that the owner had done the same. Both 30 amp main fuses on the converter were blown, the radio fuse was blown and there was an inline fuse about a foot from the battery blown. That was the heaviest fuse and must have blown after all the others.

Good luck

keicla99

Re: No 12 vots after hooking up battery in reverse polarity 1995 kz sportsman travel trailor

Thank you for the information I will check the line from the battery back to the camper fuse box for fuse.

keicla99

RE: No 12 vots after hooking up battery in reverse polarity 1995 kz sportsman travel trailor

I do not know what the converter looks like, sorry, I have seen the fuse box and the breakers and the main black line goes to the back of the fuse plate. Is the converter behind the fuses usually or is it on the outside in a compartment. I do have a meter to check but do not know where to look for the converter. Also the 30 amp inline fuse for the battery is it usually located at the front by the battery or underneath the trailor? Thanks again for you help you have been great. I dont know if this helps but the radio did seem to come on for a moment but then went dead. But the radio fuse seems good.

keicla99

Thanks for the reply I can check the converter but I do not know what it looks like. The fuses we all good or so they appear good I will have to bring my multimeter up and check them next week. Also none of the breakers were tripped. I have a breaker for the converter and it was not tripped. the 120 works fine everyhting except the 12volts part of the refrigerator and the radio. The inline fuses, the 30 amp one are they located near the front. I looked all over the fuse box and did not see any inline fuses all by themselves I do not know what kind of covnerter box I have. The fuse box said magnetech I believe. Somewhere I read that by tripping the gfi outlets that this would reset the 2 volt line also, what do you think on that. I thought this was only for the 120 line. Thank for taking the time to help me, have a great day

keicla99

:) Hi to all I just wanted to thank you guys for posting to my question. I was talking to a RV dealer today and he informed me that there is a main inline fuse protection or reverse polarity fuse. Actually there are two 30 amp fuses and they are up by the battery itself on the 1995 sportsman. He said they are in a metal box or close to the box or under the front frame. This is where I will look next weekend when I go back up to the camper. Hope this information helps someone in the future. And as for how this all happened, newbies remember when campers are concerned black is not negative on the battery cable hook up, white is and black is the "charge line" or positive side.

TexasClodhopper

Keith, that isn't necessarily true on all RVs. The BEST way is to use a cheap voltmeter to determine the polarity beforehand and mark your cables.

" ... newbies remember when campers are concerned black is not negative on the battery cable hook up, white is and black is the "charge line" or positive side."

C Nash

Digital cameras work wonders when you are not familar with what you are working on. Take pictures. Make your own diagram. Be sure to add pos and neg and direction the batteries are installed. Remember the pos post is larger than the neg post. All batt post are marked. Reversed polarity just does not work in most cases except the old 6 volt fords :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

That an idea Nash, but on deep cycle batteries you dont usually use the posts. You usually use the bolts that are molded in the battery connection and they are the same size.