No ac power

lars

I live north of the 49th and left my unit plugged into shore power this past winter. Went to start everything up last weekend. I have gen power and 12 volt but no shore power. Checked breakers and they are set fine. My unit is a 89 Holiday Ramber class A and has worked fine up till this point. I checked with my service guy and he just turned his head and said "never heard of it"? I have looked every where for a "reset button". ANy ideas?????

MOtech

No ac power

Did you check the resetable breaker on the Generator? Even if its running no output power with the breaker triped.
Is the light on on the microwave with just the genny running no shore power? If not its the breaker or the transfer switch from the genny

lars

No ac power

Okay I know where the Gen switch is but where might I find the transfer switch you speak of? The Micro etc works while the generator is running but nothing from straight shore power.

highlife

No ac power

Find a friend or someone that has and can read a multimeter. Should be able to track down pretty fast. good luck :laugh:

C Nash

No ac power

Larry did you ck the breaker with a volt meter? Did you ck breakers from shore source and power panel in the MH?

hertig

No ac power

The transfer switch is the device which selects whether the power comes from the generator or the shore. They usually 'prefer' the generator; ie when the generator is running, the power comes from the generator and if no power is coming from the generator, it allows the shore power thru. Sounds like this switch is stuck in the 'generator' position.

These units are usually 'hidden'; trace the wires from the generator or shore cord and you should eventually run into a small metal box about 10" by 5" by 4" (or a similar size). If you don't know what you are doing with electricity, better have someone who is familiar with electric testing check out this unit.

s.harrington

No ac power

Depending on the model of your genset, you will have either one or two breakers on the right side of the generator at the end, or they will be visible on the front. After you check those make sure that ( this may not apply) your shore power cord is plugged into the recepticle in the cord storage compartment. Or check to see if your Automatic Transfer Switch is working. This is either on the back of your convertor if you have a Progressive Dynamics 7200/7400 or Magnetek 6300 or in a seperate box markes as an A.T.S. if you don't. Some 89 models didn't have an ATS and relied on an outlet to plug your shore power cord into.
Good luck

lars

No ac power

Thanks everyone for the info. I am very impressed with this site and have learned a great deal. I bought this unit very cheap and intend on using it 6 months of the year when I retire in 69 days...
I will try these suggestions this weekend as I am out at the lake where the unit is kept. I do recall that there is a breaker type switch box in the generator storage area and I will try that first. If not then off in search of the convertor. I have an idea where it is but from what I remember from last year it is well hidden.
Thanks again for all the help.

hertig

No ac power

converter takes 120 volts AC and provides 12 volts DC. Don't know that finding that will help not having 120 volts...

Kirk

No ac power

quote:. I have gen power and 12 volt but no shore power.

This would pretty well eliminate the circuit breaker on the genset as it is for the output of the genset and you have that. It does sound like it might be the transfer relay as they are usually wired to go to the genset if it is running. But there are other things to check and to really know anything you need a meter. I would start by checking the outlet to be sure that there is power there. I have made more than one service call for power problems where the outlet did not have power. If it does, then check the transfer relay as they do fail, especially if the owner transfers power under load. The circuit breakers on the power distribution panel must all be OK as the power to everything passes through them whether from shore power or from the genset. They just would not cause this problem.

lars

No ac power

Well I am back from the lake. I checked the current from the garage and it is okay. There is power to the plug and subsequently to the motor home. When I am inside and the unit is plugged in there is a switch sound from one of the electrical panel boxes. Still no power to the plugs or microwave. I did not have my multi tester with me so I couldn't check the main breaker. Hopefully next weekend I can track it down. Has this happened to anyone else??? Is there another disconnect switch any where else??

lars

No ac power

Well I am back from the lake. I checked the current from the garage and it is okay. There is power to the plug and subsequently to the motor home. When I am inside and the unit is plugged in there is a switch sound from one of the electrical panel boxes. Still no power to the plugs or microwave. I did not have my multi tester with me so I couldn't check the main breaker. Hopefully next weekend I can track it down. Has this happened to anyone else??? Is there another disconnect switch any where else?? :disapprove:

lars

No ac power

Weird things do happen! This weekend I attached the MH with flashlight, multi tester and a great deal of "what am I doing". Pluged onto shore power and everything worked. I mean everything. I left the step to replace this year as it stopped working all together as well as the furnace and lo and behold eveything works, even the furnace. It's a miracle! I don't know what the heck is happening but am glad that it is! Thanks to everyone for their help.!