No DC without AC

BAleiHi

My 1998 Coachman Leprechaun has no DC unless I have either the shoreline AC connected or the generator on. When I disconnect the AC I get absolutely no DC - not even the status indicator lights. I've checked that the batteries are holding a charge (12.42 VDC) but I can't find 12 VDC anywhere near the power distribution center when the AC is disconnected. How does the DC switch from the converter to the batteries when the AC is removed? There is a relay near the power distribution center that I suspect may be involved but I hesitate to remove it without knowing more. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Bob Alei

Grandview Trailer Sa

No DC without AC

My guess is that you have a blown fuse, or reset breaker, in-line somewhere. You are getting 12 volts when plugged in because the converter is producing it. Your "relay" could be culpret. If your "relay" has 2 threaded studs coming out and the wires are running through, it is a reset breaker. Test for 12-volt across each post. If dead on one side there is your problem. There are 2 types. It could be a breaker that can be reset by pushing a side mounted button. Look for that, if there is no button to push, it is a auto reset breaker and you will have to replace it. Good luck.

Kirk

No DC without AC

quote:There is a relay near the power distribution center that I suspect may be involved but I hesitate to remove it without knowing more.

Be sure that you check that relay for voltage to make sure that it isn't the transfer relay that selects between shore power and the genset for your 120V-ac power. If it is a large device with leads from the power cord to one side, it is not for your dc power.

There is a good possability that you may have a dc transfer relay in your converter. That is fairly common. In some converters, there is a seperate battery charging circuit and all 12V power is supplied from the converter, with a realy in it that selects the battery when no 120V power is available, and then shifts the battery to the charge circuit and supplies power from the output of the converter when you do have 120V power. Those relays do fail and they can be replaced.