Noob needs help??????

Whip

My mother-in-law left us her 2005 Alfa 38 foot(See Ya Founder). We are just startin to make plans to use it. When I picked it up in PA and drove it to Texas the A/C worked great when the generator was on. Now it will only work when it is plugged in.

I'm sure I did somethin to it.

It has an INVERTER???????(whatever that is)

No manuals or paperwork have been found.

Please help the idiot(me).

Larry

G

RE: Noob needs help??????

If u are talking about the unit on the roof ,, it will only work with 120volt via genset or shore power ,, but since u have an inverter it should work also ,, if it was wired for such ,, also u'r house batteries may be going south (i mean geting old) this can cause an inverter not to run the a/c ,, but post us back on the type and size of the inverter ,, please ,, that way we can give u more info
:approve: :approve: :approve: ;) :)
And also find out how old the batteries are ,, that may be the root to the whole problem ;)
The inverter uses 12 volts to power certain 120volt stuff,, in other words ,,, it takes 12 volts and makes then 120 volts ,, dc to ac ,,, kinda like using a big battery charger to provide u with 120 volts ,, and yes i know that's not the right example .. but trying to make a point ;) ;) :approve: :approve:

DARLING

Re: Noob needs help??????

Do you have a Generac? Are there 2 switchs on the generator? One is for starting & the other is for juice for the coach.
Did you push or bump one :question:
You do basement air on the Founder, Right?

Darlin :cool:

Whip

*****Update*****

I plugged a 220/50amp in and the A/C started right up.

The A/C still will not work with the generator. The batteries are showin a bit low...... 11.5 amps. Maybe by mornin they will be at full strength.

I was sure the A/C would work with the generator even if the batteries were low???????....I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the responses.

Larry

BTW......I did start down loadin the manuels(Thanks)......and the A/C is in the "basement". .....

.....and is this English

"Do you have a Generac? Are there 2 switchs on the generator? One is for starting & the other is for juice for the coach.
Did you push or bump one "

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hertig

Does anything else work from the generator? There is probably a 'transfer switch' which selects either generator or shore power; these can stick or completely fail.

If the batteries are 'way' low, they may not provide enough power for the A/C controller.

If you have an 'inverter/charger' (12v DC to 120V AC), then the batteries will provide 120v AC to 1 or more outlets when there is no shore power or generator as well as charging the batteries. If it has a 'converter' (essentially a battery charger 120v AC to 12V DC), that will charge the batteries when shore power or generator power is available.

hamdave

Whip, your comment;
" plugged a 220/50amp in and the A/C started right up.
The A/C still will not work with the generator. The batteries are showin a bit low...... 11.5 amps. Maybe by mornin they will be at full strength.
I was sure the A/C would work with the generator even if the batteries were low???????....I could be wrong."

When you say 11.5 amp, are you looking at a 'charger' ??, If so that would be the charging rate at which your batteries were being recharged. It will
take several hours to put them back to fully charged VOLTAGE state. As others indicated, sounds like a transfer-switch or possibly breaker issue. ou didn't
say what size 'inverter', Are you sure the A/C is supposed to run off the inverter??

cheers

DARLING

The a/c draw is too much for an inverter.

When you switch from shore pwer to generator there is approx 10-40 sec delay. So long as you are plugged into shore pwer
the a/c wil always pick it first.

Just like the fridge when on auto... it picks the most efficient

Also Being in Tx with the heat... When you first start up(unless you stay on shore power) NEVER set you a/c for more than 5 degrees than the actual inside temp. As the coach cools down THEN lower the setting on the a/c.

Darlin :cool: