Norcold refer

elkhartjim

Ok...so its a dumb question, but. When on shore power, does the refer run on shore power or battery power? When I turn the auxiliary battery power switch off, the refer goes off....normal(?).

Thanks, being new to the board I sure hated to start with a dumb question.

Jim

C Nash

Re: Norcold refer

Jim, no question is a dumb question. Welcome to the forum. The fridge has to have 12 volts to operate the circuit board.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Yes welcome.
Nash is right that the Refer needs 12v to operate the circuit board, but when on shore power, and the refer is set to "Auto", it operates on 120 volts.

G

unless it is a three way fridge ,, which by the post it is ,, it operates on gas,, 12 volt and 120volt ,, but the default on mine is gas ,, so u never know ,, but as all have stated ,, they are right ,,, and welcome to the forum :) :) :) :approve:

G

i reread and i did not post back on this ,, sorry Ken ,, i need to slow down and take it easy ,, cause life goes by like a bullet ,, u know ;) :) :) :(

elkhartjim

Okay...now that I've created a monster lets revisit the situation.
I'm on shore power.
The control is set for "AC" on the refer.
I turn off the auxiliary battery switch.
The refer turns off.
What I'm trying to accomplish (?) is not having the batteries being constantly charging (even float charge) while the MH is being stored but I would like to keep the refer cool so I don't have to load/unload each trip.

I'm probably missing the obvious like when I had a shimmy that would not go away until we found it was a warped wheel...MH had 2000 miles from dealer on it and shimmied from the day I got it. "Warped Wheel". Go figure.

Thanks for all the input guys...and gals.
Jim

Grandview Trailer Sa

I don't sell MH's. but it depends on how it is wired. On my SunnyBrook trailers, the battery disconnect cannot be "Off" and the refer work. On my Gulf Streams I can have my battery disconnected and refer. will work. There is a difference in the way it is wired. The SunnyBrook's disconnect will kill everything except the slide and front jacks. The Gulf Stream just kills the battery.

I would guess, your MH is like my SunnyBrook trailers. Your disconnect has to be on, but you could disconnect the wire at the battery. I think that will work for you.

G

I agree ken i think that if the poster left the batt disconect on then it should run the fridge on shore power ,, let us knowback

Kirk

I have a motorhome and if the battery disconnect is opening all 12V power, there is either an unusual wire situation, or a problem. The converter should supply 12V-DC to operate the control circuit board even with the disconnect open. Do your lights work when the disconnect is open? If they do then there is some kind of uncommon problem there. If you have no lights that means you probably have no 12V-DC power and you will have to close the disconnect.

Does your battery stay up when operating on shor power? It might be that you have some kind of converter issue and it isn't putting out the 12V power as it should and you just have not yet run the battery down.