Norcold Refridgerator

bdb9122

I have a Norcold unit in my Allegro motor home. I turned it on and I can only hear it making a humming sound. I have played with the switch between the doors (humidity / off). It makes this noise when I switch it to ac /dc/ or auto. Now when I switch it to gas. It humms then a red "X" flashes ... Help.

utmtman

RE: Norcold Refridgerator

Is your gas on and do you have enough gas. Mine will give me the x when I am out of fuel or some other fuel problem. I dont know what the problem can be with any of the other settings.

kotr

Re: Norcold Refridgerator

You didn't mention witch model you have. Didn't you get any paper work with the unit to give you a trouble chart with diagnostic codes and meanings?

Kirk

If you tell us which model of Norcold you have, the service manual may give some help. The hum that you hear might be an optional vent fan in the rear of the unit which helps to move air through the flue. Now some questions that may help to get to an answer.
1) what is the model number?

2) how long have you left it on? When left for several hours, does it get cold? and if so, which power sources get cold.

3) do you realize that an absorption refrigerator requires for to six hours to cool to operating temperature? It is especially true of 120V and perhaps a bit longer on 12V.

4) Was it working properly and now quit? If so, how long have you owned it and what is the history?

bdb9122

RE: Norcold Refridgerator

Ok guys the unit works only when it is on gas setting. It is NOrcold Unit 683. The only thing that works so far is the freezer. I have not got the fridge to come on as of yet. HELP>>

benwd

If the electric mode isn't working then it is either the control board or the element. Have you checked the 110 plug where the fridg gets its 110 to make sure you have power? With all the power to the fridg off you can disconnect the element from the board and check continuity across the element. If it's open then that's it, if not the problem is on the board. If you want to be creative you can put a 110 plug on the element wires and plug it directly in to 110 and see if it works. If so, it's the board again. With regard to the freezer working and not the fridg part there is only one cooling element and that is for the freezer. The cold air from the freezer drops down to cool the fridg. If you give it enough time I'm sure you will see the fridg part cooling also.

DL Rupper

Put a digital thermometer in the fridge. That way over time you can see for sure if it is cooling or not. My fridge cools so slow I started using the thermometer to make sure it was working.

s.harrington

If it humms I would suspect bad voltage or bad relay on the control board. Check your outlet with a polarity tester and volt meter. Make sure you are getting 110 VAC and your polarity is good.