North to Alaska - The Adventue Begins

akjimny

Lord willing and barring earthquake, hurricane, tornados, fire, flood and pestilence, the wife and I should be on the road tomorrow, heading for Alaska. Only 5400 miles to go according to Google Maps. Finally got the tow dolly today and hopefully have all my other "stuff" together. So, wish us luck and we'll keep track of all y'all while we're on the road.

Triple E

Re: North to Alaska - The Adventue Begins

Hey have a great trip. Last time I drove up there my son was only a month old but what a great trip. The only problem we had was after the trip. We would have to take my son for a drive so he would fall a sleep. Enjoy and I envy you guys. :cool:

:8ball:

C Nash

Well Jim the only thing I hate is we are not leaving with you. We went in 04 and never a regret. Keep us posted on your travel.

akjimny

So far (Sebring to Ft Walton Beach) the adventure has included a generator that won't gen. It starts and runs, but no electricity. So I'm off to find an RV repair shop and hopefully this is covered under my extended warranty. By the way, Tex, if you happen to read this, I see why you put Ford V10 Gas Hog in your signature block.
More later.

TexasClodhopper

Jim, that's right. The V10 uses the gas, but I still get around 8 mpg if I use the "Plus" grade of gasoline. More power that way, too. Also, keep your foot out of it, too. 2300 RPM is my sweet spot.

akjimny

I'm not helping myself any, either, since I'm towing my Chevy Van on a tow dolly. But that's where I'm carrying my wife's scooter and wheel chair, plus we'll have transportation while in Anchorage. I've been using the "Tow/Haul" option. That was the recommendation in the chassis owner's manual.

akjimny

"First Law of Machinery - Any broken machine will perform perfectly in the presence of a trained technician" After a two day wait with my niece and nephew at Eglin Air Force Base, I got the MH to a RV shop and - - - the generator worked just fine. They kept it all day and ran it for a couple of hours every now and then and , no problems. So we finally got back on the road on Wednesday and got as far as Holly Springs, MS. Spent the night in a Walmart parking lot on the generator. Worked just fine. When I got up this AM it was still running, with a big puddle of oil under it. Never shut off from the low oil pressure safety switch. Tonight (Thurs) are in a nice campground in St. Charles, MO with full hookups, cable TV and wi-fi.
On the down side (other than a leaking generator) I have found I am not able to make the 400 to 500 miles per day I was hoping for. Been running 55 mph and averaging 8.5 to 8.7 mpg.
More later if anybody's interested. :)

C Nash

We are interested Jim. Keep it coming. Did you locate the leak? I would ck the oil filter. 4 to 5 hundred miles a day will get tiresome. Slow down and enjoy unless you got a timetable. Catch all the sights along the way

try2findus

INTERESTED! INTERESTED! Please keep posting as often as possible.

I have been longing for this trip and hoping maybe next year... if I can talk the DH in to it.

Safe travels and we wish you the greatest trip ever. :cool:

akjimny

Went from St. Charles, MO to Nebraska City, NE today. 375 uneventful miles. I didn't know there was so much hill country in Missouri. And it seemed like it was all uphill from the Mississippi River to here. But still getting around 8 MPG. Spending the night in an off-the-wall campground I found by reading the campground signs out on I-29. Nice place and inexpensive ($27.00 for full hook-ups) but not very level. Oh well, can't have everything.

Triple E

akjimny - 5/14/2010 5:52 PM Went from St. Charles, MO to Nebraska City, NE today. 375 uneventful miles. I didn't know there was so much hill country in Missouri. And it seemed like it was all uphill from the Mississippi River to here. But still getting around 8 MPG. Spending the night in an off-the-wall campground I found by reading the campground signs out on I-29. Nice place and inexpensive ($27.00 for full hook-ups) but not very level. Oh well, can't have everything.

Where do you plan to cross in toCanada?

akjimny

Saturday, 5/15 - made 328 miles to Watertown, SD. Found the ONLY campground in town - self check-in, no management in sight but full hookups for $20.00. According to the deposit envelope there was supposed to be free wi-fi - just contact the office for the password, but nobody in the office. Oh well.
Tonight, Sunday 5/16, we are in Bismark ND. Staying at the KOA, right next to what sounds like a very busy highway. Hopefully it will quiet down this evening. Made 333 miles today and still getting 7.5 to 8 mpg. Tomorrow we are off to Glasgow, MT, 340 miles, and then on to Shelby, MT. We'll cross into Canada at Sweet Grass, just North of Shelby. Then on to North Battleford, Edmonton, the ALCAN and HOME!!!
PS - Does anyone know how to get that "New Hose Vinyl" taste out of my water system? :question:

C Nash

Jim, are you using a hose designed for drinking water? Should not be getting a vinly taste if you do. Good to hear you are clicking off the miles and no problem. Take care and keep posting.

akjimny

I bought the best white vinyl RV water hose Walmart sells. This is only the third day of use, so I'm hoping it will get better??

H2H1

Jim I have 2, both from WM and had no problem with them,, what seems to be your problem... I remember when I was a kid I would drink right out of the green hose, and see nothing had happen to me so for, but now we must have a special hose for RV water. why???

Triple E

Well it is like this hollis; Hot on left, Cold on right, Sh-- flows down hill in a black pipe and Potable water flows thru white. Now aren't you glad we have government regulations. :) :cool: :laugh: :eek: :clown:

:8ball:

C Nash

Hollis when I was a kid and hunting I would drink from any running stream I can across. Hmmm maybe that's what wrong with us now and I just thought it was old age. :laugh: Jim it could be in your holding tank. Do you use a filter?
Are you just going straight to Alaska? Vacation or going to live?

akjimny

My plumber buddy told me the four rules of plumbing were - Hot goes on the left, cold goes on the right, s*** doesn't flow uphill and payday is on Friday. We made it to Glasgow, MT today. 344 miles, seemingly all uphill and against the wind. Gas mileage down to 7 flat. I could probably get the 8 mpg Tex mentioned, but my wife is on an oxygen concentrator, so the engine runs from the time I unplug shore power until I plug back in at night.
When I was active
Army I had 5 tours in Alaska. The first two were dumb luck - the others I had to work for. Married a girl from up there, retired there and worked for the State of Alaska until I retired from that. I had elderly parents living in Florida (where I was from originally, more or less) and they guilted me into moving down there to spend some time with them. Got a job with the State of Florida and retired from that when the retirement check and social security check equaled what I was making working. Bought the motor home (spell that money pit) and the wife and I are heading back to Alaska to visit friends, family, and most important - the Grandbaby.
3149 miles to go according to the folks at the campground here. 10 more days!!!

H2H1

good luck Jim ,, enjoy your time heading up . AND thanks for the up dates

akjimny

Tuesday, 18 May - Well, here we are in Shelby, MT, our jumping off point before heading off into the wilds of Canada. Been pretty lucky so far in finding campgrounds with full hookups and wi-fi. Tomorrow we will try to get to Red Deer, Alberta. Google maps says that's 319 miles. GasBuddy says gas in Calgary is running $.88 to $.93 per liter, so I will fill up just before crossing the border. Might as well spend it here as there. More later, I hope :laugh: