North to Alaska - The Adventue Begins

akjimny

Re: North to Alaska - The Adventue Begins

All things considered it was a good fishing trip. Like the old saying," A bad day fishing beats a good day at work." Hopefully next trip I'll actually catch some fish and, again hopefully, get a parking spot closer to the river to the Boss Lady can walk down to the riverbank and watch. :laugh: :laugh:

PS - Highs in the mid-60's, lows in the mid-40's, river water in the mid-30's. My footsies got cold!!

akjimny

Well, just got back from our second trip to the river. Score is now Fish 2 - Jimmy 0. There were even less fish in the river this week than last week. Hopefully the second run of salmon will be better. Hate to think of coming all this way to get skunked.
Speaking of skunks, we were asked to leave the main campground last night. My wife is disabled and requires oxygen 24/7, so when camped I either have to be plugged into shore power or run the generator. Last week we were on the back row of the campground, up against the trees, and no one minded the generator running. This week I managed to get a front row parking spot in the handicapped zone so my wife could at least look out the windows and watch the river and the people fishing. First night was okay. The second night the campground manager asked me to leave the handicapped parking and pull around to the back lot of the campground because there had been complaints due to our generator noise and HIS WIFE had trouble sleeping. The manager's residence was a good 50 yards from our parking spot. I asked the campers parked right next to us if my generator caused them any problems and the said "No, that they slept fine all night."
To keep the peace, I moved to the back lot and needless to say my wife was VERY upset. I almost wish I hadn't given in so easily.
So all in all - no fish and a crappy camping experience - not a good weekend. :angry: :angry: :angry:

vanole

Jim,

I would have told the mgr to blow it out of his duffle bag. I must remark and give you a BZ for your calmness and taking the high road in handling that situation. With that said if the neighbors didn't have a complaint I would have hung on to the handicap spot, I could care less about the managers wife inablity to sleep. There are all types of handicaps some visable some not visable, some more life threatening than others. Seeing how your wife is handicap and has a need guess Mister MGR ought to get an extension cord, or get you power somehow. At the very least he needs to figure out a way to appease all parties involved.

I'm sorry you had a bad weekend.

V/R
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

Triple E

Hmmmm! I always thought the Handicap parking was for the Handicap. Not for women who can't sleep. You did pretty good there Jim, I would have stuck the Handicap sign where the sun doesn't shine. And I am not speaking October thru May. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: The Manager must be from California. ;)

Triple E

Jim, where are you now. I read somewhere that you are some place with WiFi. What happen to the fish stories?

akjimny

So far we have been having a summer without a summer. Rain,rain,rain. We spent the last 8 days up in Wasilla with my son. No, I didn't get to see Sara Palin - I guess she wasn't in town. No wi-fi or internet service out in the woods where my son lives. I would have to have driven into town and sit around McDonalds in order to post anything.
When we moved to Florida I got rid of all my Alaskan fishing gear. When we came back up for this vacation I bought only enough fishing tackle for red salmon, silver salmon, and maybe some rock bass and ling cod, if we go salt water fishing. Long story short - the reds haven't really come in yet and it's too early for silvers. The second run of reds should be in the river next week with silvers not too far behind. Hopefully I won't get skunked next trip out. And I don't want to spend $$$ on trout gear that I won't get to use until next vacation.
So I've been doing what most people do on vacation - vegetating in front of the TV, waiting for the rain to stop long enough for me to try to fix the two boo-boos I inflicted on the MH. Got the tools and supplies - just need some dry and sunny.
Hopefully we will get out of town next week and get some fish. Will post with new info as soon as we do. :) :)

akjimny

Quick Update - Went back to the Russian River Wed/Thu/Fri - and actually caught some fish :) :) . The fish finally arrived. Not as many as hoped for, but better than nothing. Stayed in the same campground that asked us to move last time. Boss lady was not feeling well and stayed home so I had no issues with the generator running all night. I'm still pretty ticked about that. :angry: :angry:
30 more days then it's back on the road to Florida :( :( . Not really looking forward to the heat and humidity after the nice, cool Alaskan summer.